How do i generate nitrous oxide from a electrical arc?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a homemade high voltage power supply to produce nitrous oxide, but the speaker is warned against this as it can also produce toxic compounds. The speaker also requests more information about the production process, but the expert declines to provide any potentially hazardous details. The conversation concludes with a reminder to not attempt this method and the thread being closed.
nuclear-boy
hi,

i have a home-made high voltage power supply which produces an arc of about 1 inch long maximum, which i assume is about 20KV, how can i generate nitrous oxide with this spark?
will you give me more information about what chemicals/gases are produced from an arc, and what the percentages and concentrations are, and just general information, as i cannot find any info on the net?

please help me!

thanks in advance, alf.

Physics news on Phys.org
An electrical arc through air may produce some N2O, but it will also produce plenty of nitric oxide, nitrogen dioxide, some higher nitrogen oxides and lots of ozone. All of which are very toxic compounds, which is why you should never have an electrical arc in a non-ventilated space. Anyway, that's would be ridiculously inefficient way to produce nitrous oxide, and almost all proper methods of producing it (which I don't intend to name) are hazardous, since they usually/potentially produce other nitrogen oxides as well.

I'm not going to provide how-to details on the potentially dangerous production methods of a narcotic gas. Besides being clearly against forum rules, if you're ill-informed enough to to think an arc discharge would be a useful synthesis method, it would be extremely irresponsible.

Thank you alxm, well said. Thread is closed.

1. How does an electrical arc produce nitrous oxide?

An electrical arc is a high-intensity discharge of electricity between two conductors. When the arc is formed, the extremely high temperatures break down the nitrogen and oxygen molecules in the air, causing them to react and form nitrous oxide.

2. Is it safe to generate nitrous oxide from an electrical arc?

No, it is not safe to generate nitrous oxide from an electrical arc. The process can be dangerous due to the high temperatures and risk of electrical shock. It is important to follow proper safety precautions and have proper training before attempting this process.

3. What equipment is needed to generate nitrous oxide from an electrical arc?

To generate nitrous oxide from an electrical arc, you will need an electrical power source, two conductive electrodes, and a container to collect the gas. You may also need a gas regulator and vacuum pump to control the flow and pressure of the gas.

4. What are the potential uses for nitrous oxide generated from an electrical arc?

Nitrous oxide has a variety of uses, including as an anesthetic in medical procedures, a propellant in whipped cream and other food products, and a fuel additive in rocket engines. It can also be used as a coolant in certain industrial processes.

5. Are there any environmental concerns with generating nitrous oxide from an electrical arc?

Yes, there are potential environmental concerns with generating nitrous oxide from an electrical arc. Nitrous oxide is a potent greenhouse gas and contributes to air pollution. It is important to properly contain and dispose of any excess gas to minimize its impact on the environment.