What are the requirements for obtaining a passport in AZ?

• Thread starter QuantumTheory
  • Start date
In summary: I want to go to Japan to work because I want to live there and I can't afford to live on my own right now. I don't think I'd be able to get a student visa because I'm not a student.
QuantumTheory
I'm 17 and I want to get a passport to visist japan and then live there.
I live in AZ
What are the requirements to get one?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Go to your local post office and pick up a form. You'll need a birth certificate and two recent photos (which they can take there). I'm not sure if you need any other ID, but you'll probably need parental permission since you are under 18.

Visiting most western nations(probably including Japan) involves a tourist visa, which you get when you enter. No application necessary, they just stamp your pasport. Getting those requirees something like 14 days. Staying longer will require an application for a different kind of visa depending on your circumstances.

My teacher said i need to go to california to get one..is this true?

QuantumTheory said:
My teacher said i need to go to california to get one..is this true?
It shouldn't be. Call your local post office and ask for the nearest one to you that issues passports (not all post offices issue them). Also, visiting for a short time is easy, extended stays and work visas are a whole different ball game.

By the way this process costs about $80 and takes several weeks.

Integral said:
By the way this process costs about $80 and takes several weeks.
For an additional $60, you can expedite and get it in a couple of days. That's what I had to do for the Evo Child.

Evo said:
It shouldn't be. Call your local post office and ask for the nearest one to you that issues passports (not all post offices issue them). Also, visiting for a short time is easy, extended stays and work visas are a whole different ball game.

Thanks. I have a post office just across from my house..
Guess Ill have to get a job to get the money for it

What about the work visa? I am willing to stay in japan permanantly, even giving up my american citizen for a japanese one..can I do this?

QuantumTheory said:
Thanks. I have a post office just across from my house..
Guess Ill have to get a job to get the money for it
What about the work visa? I am willing to stay in japan permanantly, even giving up my american citizen for a japanese one..can I do this?
My guess is that it would be extremely difficult without a sponsor. I would suggest reading about Japan's immigrant worker policies. They should have a website online.

What do you mean by a sponsor?

A sponsor means you need to find someone within the country willing to vouch for you and guarantee you will have a residence and job while there.

You don't need a visa just to visit Japan (one of my friends is there right now and was sent very last minute, so I think I asked him 6 times if he was sure he didn't need a visa to go to Japan because I didn't think he'd have time to get one...and because I was still hoping he wasn't really going to cancel the plans for me to visit him this week). You probably will need a visa or work permit to work there or stay an extended time though.

Why do you want to go to Japan to work? I would think its extraordinarily rare for a minor to go on a work visa to another country of similar wealth for an extended period of time without first really knowing about the place. Go visit first and stay a few weeks or a couple months to see if its a place you'd like to live in. I assume you've never even visited...

Why not just go to school in Japan? I'm sure you could obtain a student visa easily enough. They might even have English-speaking universities there.

FAQ: What are the requirements for obtaining a passport in AZ?

1. How do I apply for a passport?

To apply for a passport, you will need to fill out an application form, provide proof of citizenship, a valid photo ID, and a passport photo. You can either apply in person at a passport acceptance facility or by mail.

2. How long does it take to get a passport?

The processing time for a passport can vary, but it typically takes 4-6 weeks for a routine application. If you need your passport sooner, you can expedite the process for an additional fee, which usually takes 2-3 weeks.

3. What is the cost of getting a passport?

The cost of getting a passport varies depending on the type of passport and processing time. For a first-time adult passport, the total cost is $145, which includes a $110 application fee and a $35 execution fee.

4. Do I need a passport to travel internationally?

Yes, a passport is required for all international travel. It serves as your official identification and proof of citizenship in other countries.

5. Can I renew my passport?

If your previous passport was issued when you were 16 years old or older, you can renew it by mail as long as it is still in good condition and was issued within the last 15 years. If not, you will need to apply for a new passport in person.

Back