1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I get started in computer science as a senior?

1. Aug 12, 2015 #1
    I've always been interested in computer science and programming and have tried to learn the basics this past summer. It wasn't until my senior year that my school has offered a class dedicated to computer science. How should I prepare?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

I would prepare by writing programs to do useful things or play games...

What language is the course based on? and what programming environment do they use? Knowing this will help you get a headstart.

If its Java and you don't know then I'd suggest checking out Processing at processing.org. There are many examples to try out and the programming
    model is very easy to learn and from there you can explore java and programming concepts using graphics as a starting point.

If they use Eclipse IDE or NetBeans IDE then download these tools, install them and find a tutorial to learn how to use them for development.

If you have a scientific interest then there is the Open Source Physics collection of Java programs at www.compadre.org/osp

If you have a comparative programming languages interest then there is www.rosettacode.org where various programming tasks are solved using a multitude of programming langauges.

Computer science is not about knowing many languages but knowing a few really well and knowing how to use them to solve a problem.

4. Aug 12, 2015 #3
    I assume this course is an introductory programming class. You don't really need to do anything to prepare. Just show up, and do the work. If you want to get a head start, find out what language will be taught and search for beginner tutorials online or introductory books.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook