How do I know which direction the horizontal force acts

In summary, the conversation is about finding the reactions of a 3 pin frame and the confusion surrounding the direction of the horizontal reactions. The person asking the question is able to solve the problem once they know the direction, and it is mentioned that drawing the forces in the wrong direction will result in a negative answer. The expert's response confirms the person's understanding and thanks them for taking the time to read and reply to the question.
DaiRSquared.

Homework Statement

I am to find the reactions of a 3 pin frame.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So how do I know which direction to label the horizontal reactions? In the diagram HA and HF are in the same direction, I was under the impression that reactions are opposite to applied force.
Photo 30-04-2015 21 44 56.jpg

I have no problems calculating a solution once i know which direction the reaction occurs.

Physics news on Phys.org
Uhh, looks like someone has drawn in the direction of the horizontal forces at pins A and F.

This is why PF Rules request that posters provide a complete description of the HW problem and use of the HW template.

Yes that was me. I know the method to calculate a solution providing I know which directions the horizontal reaction forces act.

My question was how do I know which direction the reaction forces act or what bit of information in that diagram tells me that HA and HF both act to the Right.

DaiRSquared. said:

Homework Statement

I am to find the reactions of a 3 pin frame.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So how do I know which direction to label the horizontal reactions? In the diagram HA and HF are in the same direction, I was under the impression that reactions are opposite to applied force. View attachment 82851

I have no problems calculating a solution once i know which direction the reaction occurs.
If you draw the forces in the wrong direction, you will simply get a negative number in your answer!

I have already solved my problem and would have marked it solved if i knew how. Your answer was the one I was looking for, thank you for taking the time to read the problem and reply.

What is a horizontal force?

A horizontal force is a push or pull that acts parallel to the ground or a flat surface. It is perpendicular to the vertical force, which acts up and down.

How do I determine the direction of a horizontal force?

The direction of a horizontal force can be determined by looking at the angle and orientation of the object or surface that the force is acting upon. It is important to consider the orientation of the object in relation to the ground or other fixed reference point.

Can a horizontal force act in both directions?

Yes, a horizontal force can act in both directions. For example, when pushing a cart, you are applying a horizontal force in the forward direction. However, if you apply force in the opposite direction, the cart will move backwards.

How does the direction of a horizontal force affect an object's motion?

The direction of a horizontal force directly affects an object's motion. If the force is applied in the same direction as the object's motion, it will increase its speed. If the force is applied in the opposite direction, it will decrease the object's speed or cause it to come to a stop.

Can the direction of a horizontal force change?

Yes, the direction of a horizontal force can change depending on the motion of the object or the applied force. For example, if a ball is rolling in one direction and a horizontal force is applied to it in the opposite direction, the ball's direction of motion will change.