How do I plot the load line for a nonlinear network with an ideal diode?

In summary, the task at hand is to plot the iA vs. vA characteristics for a nonlinear network with an ideal diode, as shown in Figures 4.49 and 4.50. The approach involves separating the problem into two states - with the diode on and off - and determining the appropriate voltages for each state. The load line, which is determined by the external circuit, can also be plotted to aid in finding the appropriate values for the characteristics.
Dextrine
thread will open for replies once a relevant screenshot is available

Homework Statement

Plot the iA vs. vA characteristics for the nonlinear network shown in Figure 4.49. Assume the diode is ideal.

The nonlinear network from part (a) is connected as shown in Figure 4.50. Draw the load line on your v i characteristics from part (a), and find iT

physicspicture.jpg

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

For part A I have separated the problem into two states diode on and diode off. When the diode is off the voltage Va (which I have control over) should be Va=Ia(1000)

When the diode is on, then the voltage I have is Va=Ia(500)

This transition occurs at Va= 1V so the graph looks like two lines with a change in slope at Ia=.001.

There is no solutions manual for this so I was wondering if I am on the right track. This makes sense to me since when the diode is on we have a linear circuit as well as when the diode is off.
My other attempt (at the load line) has been futile as I don't really know how to go about doing this[/B]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The loadline is set by the circuit external to the load, i.e., the circuit external to the NLD block. So in Fig 4.50 the loadline is the V-I plot determined by the source and the 1kΩ resistor.

What is an I-V plot and load line?

An I-V plot is a graphical representation of the relationship between the current (I) and voltage (V) in an electronic circuit. It is used to analyze the behavior and characteristics of a circuit. A load line, on the other hand, is a straight line drawn on an I-V plot that represents the possible combinations of current and voltage that a circuit can operate at.

How is an I-V plot created?

To create an I-V plot, a circuit is set up and a range of voltage values are applied to the circuit. The corresponding current values are then measured and plotted on a graph with voltage on the x-axis and current on the y-axis. The resulting curve is the I-V plot.

What is the significance of a load line?

The load line is used to determine the operating point of a circuit. It represents the maximum power that can be delivered to the load without causing damage to the circuit components. By finding the intersection of the load line and the I-V plot, the operating point of the circuit can be determined.

How can an I-V plot and load line be used to analyze a circuit?

By examining an I-V plot and load line, the characteristics of a circuit can be determined. These include the voltage and current limits, the maximum power that can be delivered to the load, and the efficiency of the circuit. It can also help identify any potential issues or limitations in the circuit design.

What factors can affect the shape of an I-V plot and load line?

The shape of an I-V plot and load line can be affected by various factors, including the type of circuit components used, the temperature of the circuit, and the type of load connected to the circuit. These factors can cause changes in the resistance and conductivity of the circuit, which can alter the shape of the I-V plot and load line.