1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the load line equation for I-V Characteristic plot?

1. Nov 26, 2012 #1
    What is the load line equation for I-V Characteristic plots?

Load_line_diode.png

Why is load line slope negative? According to Ohm's Law: i = V/R; so as voltage increases current increases then slope should be positive, right?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2012 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

To examine the load line equation "properly", you must derive the algebraic equation for VD in terms of load current, I. Do this from the point of view of the linear part of the circuit, without regard for the particular device (the device in this case we can see is a diode).

Using Ohm's Law, VD = VDD - ......

Re-arrange to compare with the equation for a straight line on an I vs. V plot, to find intercepts and slope.

4. Nov 26, 2012 #3
    Oh, so...
    VD = VDD - I×R

Re-arranging gets:
    I = VDD/R - VD/R

Where VDD/R is the I-intercept and -1/R is the slope.

5. Nov 26, 2012 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Right. So onto this you can superimpose the I vs. V plot for any load (a non-linear diode, or even another resistor), and find the Q-point.

6. Nov 27, 2012 #5

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can be instructive to look at what happens when you either short or open circuit VD..

Shorting VD to ground means VD = 0 and I is at a maximium = VDD/R.

Open circuiting VD by removing the diode gives minimium current I = 0 and VD = VDD.

Gives you two points on the load line graph.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook