Prepare for Math Contest: Tips & Tricks

• Thread starter Atomos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Prepare
In summary, the speaker has been invited to a math contest with difficult essay and numerical response questions. They have not done this type of contest before and are seeking advice on how to prepare and stay focused during the exam. Suggestions include practicing with previous papers and matching the test material to a textbook. The speaker also offers to send additional practice questions via email.
Atomos
I have been invited to a math contest that will take place a week from now. Its questions are all essay response (proofs and numerical answers) and it is difficult. I have never written a contest in this format before. How do I prepare for it? And how can I ensure that I am lucid as Euclid on the morning of the exam?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you could begin your practise by attempting the previous papers of this exam.

I was only able to find one (last year's).

stay up all night and drink a bunch of coffee?

siddharth said:
Well, you could begin your practise by attempting the previous papers of this exam.

The efficacy of this method speaks volumes about standardized testing. :tongue2:

I agree with siddharth. Also, you might want to try and match the tests to a textbook. If you can find one with a lot of overlap, then there's a good chance that most of the material on your test will be covered there as well.

Are the questions like the ones in the attached file because i have loads of these if you want them.

Attachments

• bmo2-1999.pdf
    38.7 KB · Views: 225
rho said:
Are the questions like the ones in the attached file because i have loads of these if you want them.

Yes, they are olympiad style, so I suppose the BMOs would be good practice. You can send them in a zip or rar archive to my e-mail address
uhiggs(at)gmail.com
the placed the (at) there in place of @ so it cannot be picked up by spam bot.

Thanks in advance.

Did you get my email?

Yes, thankyou

1. What are some general tips for preparing for a math contest?

Some general tips for preparing for a math contest include setting aside dedicated study time, practicing regularly with timed exercises, and seeking out additional resources such as study guides or past contest questions.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for a math contest?

Improving problem-solving skills for a math contest involves practicing with a variety of different types of problems and learning different problem-solving techniques, such as breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts.

3. Is it important to review basic math concepts before a math contest?

Yes, it is important to review basic math concepts before a math contest. Many contest problems are based on fundamental concepts, so having a strong understanding of these concepts can greatly improve your chances of success.

4. How should I manage my time during a math contest?

Time management is crucial during a math contest. It is important to read and understand the problem carefully, make a plan for solving it, and then allocate your time accordingly. If you get stuck on a problem, it may be best to move on and come back to it later.

5. Are there any specific strategies for approaching multiple-choice questions on a math contest?

Yes, there are some strategies for approaching multiple-choice questions on a math contest. These include eliminating obviously incorrect answers, working backwards from the answer choices, and plugging in the answer choices to see which one fits the problem. It is also important to carefully read the question and all of the answer choices before making a selection.