How do I prove that A^B is orthogonal to A?

• Thread starter EmmaLemming
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Orthogonal
In summary, the conversation discusses the steps needed to show that A^B is orthogonal to A and that (A^B)^B lies in the same plane as A and B. This is done by calculating the cross product between A and B, finding the angle between them, and using the identity a x (b x c) = b(ac) - c(ab).
EmmaLemming

Homework Statement

If A = (2,-2,1) and B = (2, 0, -1)
show by explicit calculation that

i) A^B is orthogonal to A

ii) (A^B)^B lies in the same plane as A and B by expressing it as a linear combination of A and B

Homework Equations

A^B = |A||B|sin θ

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that when you do the cross product of two vectors the result will be a vector that is perpendicular to both and I can draw a diagram to demonstrate. However I can't show it by explicit calculation. :(

I thought maybe if I could prove that the angle between them was ∏/2...

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know how to calculate cross product ^ , you will do A^B and if you find correctrly the value ~(itwill be a vector the result ,lets call it C) then you take the dot product of C with A and if it is zero they are orthogonal.

since cos90 =0 and (A) dot (B)= A B cosθ

ii)i think you can use the identity : a x ( b x c ) = b(ac) -c(ab) , b=a here

1. How do I prove that A^B is orthogonal to A?

To prove that A^B is orthogonal to A, you can use the inner product or dot product method. Calculate the dot product of A^B and A, if the result is zero, then A^B is orthogonal to A.

2. What is the definition of orthogonal vectors?

Orthogonal vectors are two vectors that are perpendicular to each other, meaning that the angle between them is 90 degrees. This also means that their dot product is equal to zero.

3. Can A^B be orthogonal to both A and B?

Yes, it is possible for A^B to be orthogonal to both A and B. This can happen when A and B are not parallel to each other and the cross product A^B is perpendicular to both A and B.

4. How can I prove that two vectors are orthogonal without using the dot product method?

You can also use the geometric method to prove that two vectors are orthogonal. Draw the two vectors and if they form a right angle at the point of intersection, then they are orthogonal.

5. Are all orthogonal vectors linearly independent?

Yes, all orthogonal vectors are linearly independent. This is because if two vectors are orthogonal, their dot product is equal to zero, and this means that they are not parallel to each other. Therefore, they cannot be expressed as a linear combination of each other.