1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I prove the closure and the boundary of a concrete example?

1. Sep 25, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let X = R2 with the Euclidean metric and let S = {(x1, x2) : x1^2+x2^2 <1}.Prove that Closure of S ={(x1,x2):x1^2+x2^2<= 1} and that the Boundary of S= { (x1, x2) : x1^2 +x2 ^2=1 } .

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was able to prove all my theorems but I don't know how to prove this concrete example. All my theorems just talked about one point in the closure or boundary. I can clearly see from a picture that these are the answers but how do I prove it without a picture?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Pick P=(x,y) such that x^2+y^2=1. Now take the ball B(P,r). (1-r/2)*P is in the ball and S and (1+r/2)*P is in the ball and outside of S. Can you prove that? That would show P is in boundary of S, right? Does that help?

4. Sep 25, 2011 #3
    What does (1-r/2)*P and (1+r/2)*P mean. Its probably something really simple but I am just not seeing it.

Yes, I can see how showing that an arbitrary point that is both in S and in its complement would show that it is a boundary point. Would this method suffice if my teacher uses the definition of boundary as the intersection of the closure of S with the complement of the closure of S?

I suppose I could show that this point is in the closure of S by showing it is in the intersection of all closed sets containing S (which is my teacher's definition of closure). Ok, let me think of how to do that...

5. Sep 25, 2011 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

P*(1-r/2)=(x,y)*(1-r/2)=(x*(1-r/2),y*(1-r/2)). Just a vector product. Showing points P that are in the boundary of S are the points where every open neighborhood of P contains points that are both in S and outside of S is equivalent to your teachers definition of boundary is a 'proof' question. You said you could do those.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  6. Sep 25, 2011 #5
    So, how did you choose those numbers? (1-r/2) and (1+r/2). I would like to know so that can learn how to do this type of problem.

And, I show that (1-r/2)P is in B(p, r) by showing that d((1-r/2)p, y)<r and I show that it is in S by showing that (1-r/2)P and y satisfies the condition of S (x1^2+x2^2 <1). And, I show that (1+r/2)P is in B(p, r) by showing that d((1+r/2)p, y)<r and I show that it is in S-complement by showing that (1+r/2)P and y satisfies the condition of S-complement (x1^2+x2^2 >= 1).

7. Sep 25, 2011 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The distance between P and (1-r/2)*P=|P-(1-r/2)*P|=|P||1-(1-r/2)|=(r/2)|P|. |P|=1 since x^2+y^2=1. r/2<r. That means (1-r/2)*P is in B(P,r). I'm just using vector arithmetic on R^2 with the usual norm (i.e. the Euclidean metric). And |(1-r/2)*P|=|1-r/2|*|P| and since |P|=1 and |1-r/2|<1, then (1-r/2)*P is in S. You don't have to square everything out. Just picture multiplying vectors by constants.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook