How do I simplify this equation further?

• Thread starter musicgold
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Simplify
In summary, The attached document is trying to find the relationship between i and r, with the constants D and T. The equation given is (3+3r+r^2)/(3+3i+i^2)=d, and the goal is to simplify it. Bill suggests multiplying both sides by (1+r)^3 to eliminate the denominators and then manipulating the equation using basic algebraic principles. He also clarifies that the notation "!=" means "not equal" and suggests using a common denominator of (1+r)^3 to simplify the equation.
musicgold
Hi,

Please see the attached document. I don’t know how simplify the equation further. I am trying to find the relationship between i and r. D and T are constants.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Calculation.pdf
    37.6 KB · Views: 254
Mathematics news on Phys.org
(3+3r+r^2)/(3+3i+i^2)=d

if I haven't made any mistakes, if i!=0, if 1+r!=0

Thanks Bill.
Your reply is not clear to me. Would you be able to show your steps?

Also, is that factorial in i!=0, if 1+r!=0 ?

musicgold said:
Thanks Bill.
Your reply is not clear to me. Would you be able to show your steps?

Also, is that factorial in i!=0, if 1+r!=0 ?
No, it's not factorial. The C language notation != is sometimes used for ≠, and I believe that's what Bill meant.

Multiply both sides by (1+r)^3 to get rid of the denominators. Move everything to one side of the =. Expand all the resulting powers. Discard all the v-v terms for every expression v. Your t disappears in the process. Push d to the other side of the =. Do a divide to isolate d. Divide numerator and denominator by the common terms.

And yes != was "not equal", all the divisions and multiplications in this process depend on your not multiplying or dividing by zero or the result will be meaningless.

All this is just basic algebraic manipulation and I don't even see any tricky bits.

Thanks Bill. That is helpful.

Make your life easier by replacing (1+r) with x. Have a common denominator of x^3 and cancel it out by cross multiplying or just multiplying both sides by x^3. Remove all like terms from both sides. Then replace x with 1+r. Expand the terms and remove all like terms on both sides. At this point you should see that T cancels out completely or I made a mistake. Good Luck.

1. How do I know when an equation is simplified?

An equation is considered simplified when there are no more like terms that can be combined and there are no parentheses or brackets left to simplify.

2. Can I use any method to simplify an equation?

Yes, there are multiple methods that can be used to simplify an equation, such as combining like terms, using the distributive property, or factoring. However, the most appropriate method will depend on the specific equation and variables involved.

3. What should I do if I am unsure how to simplify an equation further?

If you are unsure how to simplify an equation further, try breaking it down into smaller parts and simplifying each part individually. You can also try using a graphing calculator or asking a teacher or tutor for help.

4. Is it necessary to simplify an equation further?

In most cases, simplifying an equation further is not necessary unless specified by the instructions or if the equation needs to be in a specific form. However, it is always a good idea to simplify as much as possible to make the equation easier to work with.

5. Can I simplify an equation that has variables in it?

Yes, you can simplify an equation that has variables in it. The same rules apply as for simplifying equations with only numbers, such as combining like terms and using the distributive property. However, keep in mind that the variables may have certain restrictions or rules that need to be followed, such as not being able to divide by zero.