Can the Double Summation be Simplified?

In summary, the conversation involves a person seeking help in simplifying a double summation. They provide the sum and ask if it can be simplified and if one of the sigmas can be removed. Another person responds by suggesting a rearrangement and drawing a table to make the process easier to follow. They also mention using a lag operator to express the sum in a more convenient way. However, this is a different sum from the original one. The original sum involves summing the products of adjacent elements from a vector, while the suggested sum uses a lag operator.
Josie Jones
Hi, I am trying to simplify a double summation and was wondering if anyone would be able to help me.

The sum is

$$ \sum_{i=1}^{n-1} \sum_{j=i+1}^n a_i a_j $$

Is it possible to simplify it down and maybe lose one of the sigmas?

Thank you in advance :)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes. Consider ##\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^{n-1} \sum_{j=1}^{i-1} a_i a_j##. You can rearrange that until it looks like your original problem. This, plus the original sum, plus the sum over ##a_i^2## can be expressed much shorter, and that gives you a way to express your sum in a more convenient way as well.

All these steps are easier to follow if you draw a table (i,j).

There are no [itex]a_i^2[/itex] terms.

Last edited by a moderator:
mathman said:
There are no [itex]a_i^2[/itex] terms.
Not in the original sum, but if you add these terms (in a suitable way) you can get a nice compact expression. The original sum is then the difference between a nice compact expression and the sum of these squares (with suitable prefactors).

so if this $$ \sum_{i=1}^{n-1} \sum_{j=i+1}^n a_i a_j $$ is taking elements from the same vector a of size n and summing the products of adjacent elements, then why can't you write it as $$ \sum_{i=2}^{n} a_i La_i $$ where L is the Lag Operator:

862131b68e4a017e26f0a9c5e34af12fd42ce10c
for all t >1 (or a and index i in this case)

Yes it is, the indexes in the OP are such a mess, I guessed at what perhaps was being attempted. The double sum with one index depending on the other does not make any sense to me

BWV said:
The double sum with one index depending on the other does not make any sense to me
Huh? That is very common, and the notation is nothing unusual either. The range of elements to be summed over in the inner sum depends on the index of the outer sum. So what?

What is double summation?

Double summation is a mathematical concept where two summation symbols are used together to represent the summation of a function over two variables. This is often used in statistics, physics, and engineering to simplify complex calculations and express them in a concise manner.

Why do we need to simplify double summation?

Simplifying double summation allows us to express complex calculations in a more manageable and concise way. This makes it easier to analyze and interpret data, and also helps to identify patterns and relationships between variables.

What are the basic rules for simplifying double summation?

The basic rules for simplifying double summation are: 1) Distributive Property, 2) Associative Property, 3) Commutative Property, and 4) Changing the order of summation. These rules allow us to manipulate the summation symbols and simplify the expression by combining terms or rearranging the order of operations.

Can double summation be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, double summation is commonly used in various fields such as economics, physics, and engineering to solve real-world problems. For example, it can be used to calculate the total profit from a business with multiple revenue streams or to determine the displacement of an object with changing velocity.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when simplifying double summation?

Some common mistakes to avoid when simplifying double summation include: 1) forgetting to change the index variable when combining terms, 2) incorrectly applying the distributive property, 3) not considering the order of operations, and 4) confusing the two summation symbols. It is important to carefully follow the rules and pay attention to the details when simplifying double summation.