1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I simplify this expression with a floor function?

1. Jul 28, 2015 #1
    I would want to change this expression to another one that would have P easily accessible.

[itex]\frac{\left \lceil (n+1)^{P} \right \rceil}{\left \lceil n^{P} \right \rceil}[/itex]

As an example of 'accessible'; given (n+1)^P / n^P, I can make P more accessible by using log(). Then it becomes P * (log(n+1)-log(n)), where P is just outside everything else and is easily accessible by just dividing by something.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2015 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

I have seen two different approaches to this sort of problem.
    1) Make a conversion inside the ceiling function, such as ##e^{p \log (n+1) } ##
    2) Add in a dummy term 0<w<1 such that the ceiling (n+1)^p = (n+1)^p +w.
    The second option often lets you get sufficiently close to the answer you need.

4. Jul 29, 2015 #3
    Regarding the 2nd option,

I don't understand how to bring out P in the expression, ((n+1)^P + w1) / (n^P + w0)

5. Jul 29, 2015 #4

RUber

Homework Helper

Do you have any information about P or n, ## n \in \mathbb{N}?, P>0 \in \mathbb{R}?##
    What is the outcome you are looking for? Is it a bound of some sort, or a relation?
    You could say that ceiling(n+1)^p = (n+1+w)^p. w would still be bounded in [0,1), and would tend toward zero much more reliably than having it outside the exponent.

6. Jul 29, 2015 #5
    P is a real number greater than 0
    n is a natural number (including 0)

I'm trying to make a convergence acceleration formula for a (rounded up) sequence of numbers, then it eventually leads to this problem:

seq(n) = ceil ((n+1)^P) / ceil (n^P) , for any real P>0

which requires me to completely isolate P on its own to one side of an equation

Note:
    seq(n) isn't the sequence that I'm trying to accelerate the convergence on, it's just derived from something else.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  7. Jul 29, 2015 #6

RUber

Homework Helper

If you use ##R = \frac{ (n+1+w )^p }{(n+v)^p} = \left( \frac{n+1+w }{n+v}\right)^p ##
    then, ##\ln R = p \ln \left( \frac{n+1+w }{n+v}\right). ##
    So, just in using the range [0,1) for w,v you can bound it by:
    ##\ln \left(\frac{ n+1 }{n+1}\right) < \frac{\ln R}{p}< \ln \left(\frac{n+2 }{n}\right) ##

Is that a set of bounds you can work with? Or do you need finer resolution on how quickly w and v go to zero so you can estimate how close to ##p \ln \frac{n+1}{n}## the rate really is?

8. Jul 29, 2015 #7
    I think the first step would actually be:

R= ((n+1)^P + w) / (n^P + v)

If it is, I have no idea how to go on from there..

9. Jul 29, 2015 #8

RUber

Homework Helper

Good point. Upon further investigation, the assumption that you could bring a small number inside the exponential fell apart pretty quickly.

However, staying with the bounding idea,
    ##\frac{ (n+1)^p }{n^p +1 } <\frac{ \lceil (n+1)^p \rceil }{ \lceil (n)^p \rceil } < \frac{ (n+1)^p +1}{n^p }##
    Which letting ## Q =\frac{ (n+1)^p }{ (n)^p }## can be simplified to:
    ## \frac{Q}{1+ \frac{1}{n^p} } < R < Q + \frac{1}{n^p} ##
    The upper bound is pretty straightforward, the lower bound can be expressed as:
    ## \frac{Q}{1+ \frac{1}{n^p} } = Q - \frac{Q}{n^p} + \frac{Q}{n^{2p}}- \frac{Q}{n^{3p}} ...##

Is this perhaps a form you could use to estimate your error bounds? Everything is expressed as a power of p, but not in such a form that you can just take the log of it straight away.

10. Jul 29, 2015 #9
    That's very clever; I think I would be able to use it.

Thanks for the help!

------------
    Edit:
    What I decided to do next is to solve for the minimum and maximum values of P using the 2 bounds.

I'm having trouble with solving for P in the expression:

[itex]\frac{(n+1)^{P}}{n^{P}+1}=X[/itex]

Is this even solvable?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  11. Jul 30, 2015 #10

RUber

Homework Helper

I can't seem to get right to a solution.

If p were an integer, there are ways to simplify it with polynomial methods.
    Otherwise, you can discuss the limits as n or p are large or small.
    For p close to zero and n > 0, this will tend toward 1/2.
    For p>1, as n grows this will tend toward 1.
    Note that for an integer p,
    ##(n+1)^p = \sum_{i=0}^p \begin{pmatrix} n\\i\end{pmatrix}n^i=n^p + 1 + \sum_{i=1}^{p-1} \begin{pmatrix} n\\i\end{pmatrix}n^i.##
    So, you could simplify
    ##\frac{(n+1)^p}{n^p + 1} = 1 + \frac{\sum_{i=1}^{p-1} \begin{pmatrix} n\\i\end{pmatrix}n^i}{n^p + 1}.##

Generally, I would plot the log of convergence factor vs. n. The slope of this plot should be an approximation for your exponent for the convergence rate ##e^x##, with x being a negative value.

12. Aug 4, 2015 #11
    Unfortunately, I have no idea about what you said (I don't have that much of a background in maths, sorry)

But I have been searching around to look for ways to solve this and I found that perturbation theory could solve algebraic problems that are not exactly solvable; would that work?

I would try it out myself but I don't know how to, all the examples I could find and (kinda) understand aren't applicable in my case.

13. Aug 5, 2015 #12

RUber

Homework Helper

The ##\begin{pmatrix} n\\i\end{pmatrix}## notation means the combination or "n choose i" operation which simplifies to:
    ##\begin{pmatrix} n\\i\end{pmatrix}=\frac{n!}{(n-i)!i!}##
    I made a mistake in the original formula:
    Should be
    for integer p,
    ##(n+1)^p = \sum_{i=0}^p \begin{pmatrix} p\\i\end{pmatrix}n^i=n^p + 1 + \sum_{i=1}^{p-1} \begin{pmatrix} p\\i\end{pmatrix}n^i.##

If you are just looking to estimate, you could only keep the highest order term in the expansion:
    ##\frac{(n+1)^p}{n^p + 1} = 1 + \frac{\sum_{i=1}^{p-1} \begin{pmatrix} p\\i\end{pmatrix}n^i}{n^p + 1}\\
    =1 +\frac{pn^{p-1}}{n^p}+\mathcal{O}(n^{-2}) \\
    \approx 1+ \frac pn.##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook