Can the sum of exponentials in this expression be simplified?

• I
  • Thread starter rock_pepper_scissors
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum
In summary, the provided formula simplifies to ##\frac{1}{2m}\sum\limits_{k=0}^{N-1}\tilde{p}_{k}\tilde{p}_{N-k}## using the handy formula for the sum of exponentials and assuming that k+k' can be treated as a single integer.
rock_pepper_scissors
I am looking for a way to simplify the following expression:

##\sum\limits_{n=1}^{N}\ \sum\limits_{k=0}^{N-1}\ \sum\limits_{k'=0}^{N-1}\ \tilde{p}_{k}\ \tilde{p}_{k'}\ e^{2\pi in(k+k')/N}##.

I presume that the sum of the exponentials over ##n## somehow reduce to a Kronecker delta.

Am I wrong?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
This formula is handy:

##\sum_{k=1}^{N}e^{2\pi ikn/N}=N\delta_{\text{n mod N}, 0}##

so that

##\sum\limits_{n=1}^{N}\ \sum\limits_{k=0}^{N-1}\ \sum\limits_{k'=0}^{N-1}\ \tilde{p}_{k}\ \tilde{p}_{k'}\ e^{2\pi in(k+k')/N}##

##=\frac{1}{2mN}\ \sum\limits_{k=0}^{N-1}\ \sum\limits_{k'=0}^{N-1}\ \tilde{p}_{k}\ \tilde{p}_{k'}\ N \delta_{(k+k') \text{mod N},0}##

##=\frac{1}{2m}\ \sum\limits_{k=0}^{N-1}\ \tilde{p}_{k}\ \tilde{p}_{N-k}##.

What do you think?

That first step requires that you can treat k+k' as a single integer, as required in the provided formula.
ie. requires that: $$\sum_{m=1}^N e^{2\pi i mn/N} = \sum_{k=1}^N\sum_{k'=1}^N e^{2\pi i (k+k')n/N}$$

thanks!

1. What is the sum of exponentials?

The sum of exponentials refers to a mathematical expression in the form of ex + ey, where e is the base of the natural logarithm and x and y are the exponents. It is commonly used in calculus and other branches of mathematics.

2. How do you calculate the sum of exponentials?

To calculate the sum of exponentials, you can use the formula: ex + ey = ex+y. This means that you can simply add the exponents together and keep the base (e) the same. For example, e2 + e3 = e5.

3. What are some real-life applications of the sum of exponentials?

The sum of exponentials has many real-life applications, including in finance, physics, and biology. In finance, it is used to model interest rates and stock prices. In physics, it is used to describe radioactive decay. In biology, it is used to model population growth.

4. Can the sum of exponentials be negative?

Yes, the sum of exponentials can be negative. This happens when the exponents have different signs, such as e-2 + e3, which equals e1 or approximately 2.718.

5. How is the sum of exponentials related to the exponential function?

The sum of exponentials is closely related to the exponential function, as it is a special case of the function when there are two or more exponential terms being added together. The exponential function, denoted as ex, is defined as the limit of (1 + 1/n)n as n approaches infinity. This is equivalent to ex = 1 + x + (x2/2!) + (x3/3!) + ...