How do I solve the integral of x²/(x²+1)²?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Alexx1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integral
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 58K views
Alexx1
Messages
86
Reaction score
0
The answer of the integral of (x^2)/((x^2+1)^2) is (1/2)(arctan(x)-(x/x^2+1))

In class, we've seen the steps to solve this integral, but I don't understand certain steps..
Can someone explain me how to solve this integral, step by step?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you can post the steps and point out those that you didn't understand then I'm sure someone can help you.

BTW. The easiest way to do that one is "integration by parts". Have you learned this technique yet?
 
uart said:
If you can post the steps and point out those that you didn't understand then I'm sure someone can help you.

BTW. The easiest way to do that one is "integration by parts". Have you learned this technique yet?

Sure, no problem, here are the steps:

Integral((x^2)/((x^2+1)^2)dx)
= (1/2)*Integral(x d(1/(x^2+1))
= (1/2)*(x/(x^2+1))-(1/2)*Integral(1/(x^2+1)dx)
= (1/2)*(x/(x^2+1))-(arctan(x))/2

Last step is the answer

(The answer I said earlier was wrong, this is the correct answer:(1/2)*(x/(x^2+1))-(arctan(x))/2)

Thank you
 
[tex]\int\frac{x^2}{(x^2 + 1)^2} = \int x \frac{x}{(x^2 + 1)^2}[/tex]

Using ∫u v' = uv - ∫v u',
let u = x and v' = x/(x2 + 1)2
 
It's basically separating it into parts ie.[itex]\int \frac{x^2}{(x^2+1)^2}\rightarrow \int \frac{x}{1}.\frac{x}{(x^2+1)^2}\equiv x(x. \sin(\arctan(x)))[/itex]

as

[itex]\frac{x}{1}=\frac{1}{2}x^2[/itex]

and [itex]x\frac{x}{(1+x)^2}=x.\sin(\arctan(x))[/itex]

By the trig identity.

Thus the answer is:

[itex]\int\frac{x^2}{(x^2+1)^2}=-\frac{1}{2}.\frac{x}{(x^2+1)}+\frac{1}{2}\arctan(x)+C[/itex]

Don't forget the constant of integration, it's a silly way to loose marks. :smile:
 
Last edited:
Alexx1 said:
Thank you both!

np Bhorok's answer is more elegant and easier, but I thought you might need a long winded explanation and there's often more than one way to swing a cat I guess. Hope it helped. :smile:
 
Alexx1 said:
The answer of the integral of (x^2)/((x^2+1)^2) is (1/2)(arctan(x)-(x/x^2+1))

In class, we've seen the steps to solve this integral, but I don't understand certain steps..
Can someone explain me how to solve this integral, step by step?

since you have the answer, take its derivative & work backwards. that's how to figure it out. just don't show anyone your rough work :-p
 
Alexx1 said:
Sure, no problem, here are the steps:

Integral((x^2)/((x^2+1)^2)dx)
= (1/2)*Integral(x d(-1[/color]/(x^2+1))
= (-1[/color]/2)*(x/(x^2+1)) -[/color](1/2)*Integral(1/(x^2+1)dx)
= -[/color](1/2)*(x/(x^2+1))+[/color](arctan(x))/2

Last step is the answer

(The answer I said earlier was wrong, this is the correct answer:(1/2)*(x/(x^2+1))-(arctan(x))/2)

Thank you

No the original answer was correct, you dropped a minus sign in the first line of this derivation.