stickythighs said:
People in very isolated rural areas don't need a line connected to a utility company or outside power source to get water or gas. I know that they can get water from a well. I know that they can buy giant tanks to hold propane or any gas that they use to power their appliances and have the gas delivered to them. However, I'm baffled by how people in very isolated rural areas (say, no city with more than one thousand people in it within twenty miles) get electricity. I mean, it would probably cost over a million dollars to get the utility company to build 20 miles over power lines to service one house. So how do people in such isolated rural areas get electricity? Or do people in such isolated rural areas not usually have electricity? Do they have gas lighting and run all of their appliances off of gas.
I think you would be surprised at the actual extent of the rural electric grid beyond the criteria you have in mind.
Here is an image of the rural electric areas nationwide. These would be areas served by members of the rural electric association and does not include the larger metropolitan utilities which you can see in the voids serves the more populous states.
http://images.pennnet.com/mapsearch/rea.jpg
While it is true that laying the lines into remote areas poses some economical disincentives, I'd say it seems to me based on my travels about that there are pretty much electric lines on roads where there are people living in concentrations much smaller than 1000. If there was a map of actual service links to the grid, I think it would reveal a pretty thorough coverage east of the Mississippi and undoubtedly some holes in some of the western areas, but not likely affecting that many people. But that is just my impression.
As far as power generation there are always small gasoline or diesel powered units if connection costs were to outweigh usage. Here's one that shows fuel usage:
http://www.backuppowersystems.com/diesel.html
.5 gal/H at 50% load on a 12KW generator. At $4/gal that comes to $2/6KWH or about $.30/KWH
There are propane units too that advertise fuel consumption (at 50% load) 1.4 gal/H with propane costs in Nebraska for instance above $2 and likely closer to $2.50 to $3 by now:
http://www.neo.ne.gov/statshtml/images/86.jpg
At $2.50 that 1.4 gal looks to come to $3.50/6.5KWH (half the 13KW of the rated unit) or $.53/KWH.
The units cost several thousand and they need fuel tanks too of course.