Gas to power stoves and heat homes in rural areas

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 7K views
stickythighs
Messages
37
Reaction score
0
I know that people in rural areas can't get gas to power their gas stoves and furnaces (to warm their houses) from the utility companies. The gas must be put in portable containers and transferred to the houses. I often see propane gas tanks for sale at grocery stores and Wal-Marts, etc.

What is natural gas?

What type of gas do people generally use to power gas stoves?

What gas do people usually use to heat their houses? When people use an appliance that uses gas to heat their houses, is that appliance called a heater or a furnace?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know for sure, but I don't think that the tanks you see at walmart are used to heat homes. I guess they could be, but they're usually just for grills. Natural gas is usually used to power gas stoves -- at least in my experience. But, I think that both propane and gas can be used to heat a home.
 
antibio said:
I don't know for sure, but I don't think that the tanks you see at walmart are used to heat homes.

Ditto.


Natural gas is usually used to power gas stoves -- at least in my experience.

Is natural gas gasoline in its nonliquid, nonsolid (gas) state?


But, I think that both propane and gas can be used to heat a home.

Come to think of it, I know that propane can be used to heat a home because my parents have a propane heater at their house.
 
"Natural gas" is mostly methane.

Portable containers usually hold butane or propane.

Static containers for domestic heating are filled with LPG (liquified petroleum gas) in this country.