Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gas to power stoves and heat homes in rural areas

1. Jul 24, 2008 #1
    I know that people in rural areas can't get gas to power their gas stoves and furnaces (to warm their houses) from the utility companies. The gas must be put in portable containers and transfered to the houses. I often see propane gas tanks for sale at grocery stores and Wal-Marts, etc.

What is natural gas?

What type of gas do people generally use to power gas stoves?

What gas do people usually use to heat their houses? When people use an appliance that uses gas to heat their houses, is that appliance called a heater or a furnace?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2008 #2
    I don't know for sure, but I don't think that the tanks you see at walmart are used to heat homes. I guess they could be, but they're usually just for grills. Natural gas is usually used to power gas stoves -- at least in my experience. But, I think that both propane and gas can be used to heat a home.

4. Jul 24, 2008 #3
    Ditto.

Is natural gas gasoline in its nonliquid, nonsolid (gas) state?

Come to think of it, I know that propane can be used to heat a home because my parents have a propane heater at their house.

5. Jul 25, 2008 #4
    "Natural gas" is mostly methane.

Portable containers usually hold butane or propane.

Static containers for domestic heating are filled with LPG (liquified petroleum gas) in this country.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?