How do Stem Cells help in Drug trials?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Rongeet Banerjee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cells Stem
In summary, stem cells help in drug trials by providing testing for drugs that may be used on mice, and by having the right physiology for the drug being tested.
Rongeet Banerjee
How exactly do Stem Cells help in Drug trials ?Or do they really

Biology news on Phys.org
Rongeet Banerjee said:
How exactly do Stem Cells help in Drug trials ?Or do they really
What research have you done on this? What have you found out?

Likes BillTre
Actually I am an Undergraduate Medical student in my 1st yr.I found the following page in my Embryology Textbook . But
16095302736521803649641.jpg
couldn't understand the last line.

Rongeet Banerjee said:
Actually I am an Undergraduate Medical student in my 1st yr.I found the following page in my Embryology Textbook . ButView attachment 275458 couldn't understand the last line.
So you decided to post it sideways to make it easy for us to read?

Rongeet Banerjee said:
couldn't understand the last line.
phinds said:
Fixed it up some... :smile:

Sideways Med Student Fixed.jpg

Guessing that stem cells are used in vitro for testing of drugs.
The stem cells would have the testing species specificity of the species from which they were derived.
So, mouse stem cells; good for testing drugs that might be used on mice.

The cells would have to have the proper receptors (or whatever is appropriate for testing).
Alternatively, the stem cells might be used to situations where they could be dependably differentiated into particular non-stem cells, which would have the right receptors or physiology for the drug test.

There could well be cases where stem cells would not be appropriate for testing particular drugs, for example not having the physiology typical of some body part.

Likes Rongeet Banerjee and TeethWhitener
Here's something you can try some day:
I typed into the google search bar "How do Stem Cells help in Drug trials?"
Then I got lots of links to good answers.
For example, The first page of the first link had this:

"How can pluripotent stem cells speed drug development?
Stem cells are expected to dramatically improve the ability of drug companies to screen new drugs for side effects much earlier in the development process— significantly lowering costs and shortening the time it takes to develop a new drug. Right now, all drugs go through extensive animal trials before they are ever given to people. This can take years and cost millions of dollars. And even if the drugs appear perfectly safe in animals—there is no guarantee that the same will be true for humans

The ideal solution to the problem of drug side effects would be to test the drugs on human cells before the drugs enter human clinical trials. The most common drug side effects are on the liver, kidney and heart. For that reason, those are the tissues people are trying to create from pluripotent stem cells to use for screening drug toxicity.

With toxicity screening, drug companies would have banks of stem cells from a wide variety of genetic backgrounds. They could then test how heart, liver, or kidney cells created from those stem cells react to a drug—thus weeding out those drug candidates that lead to toxicity in human cells.

This work also could reveal groups of people with similar genetic backgrounds that collectively do or don’t respond well to a given drug. This type of personalized medicine would allow drug companies to develop drugs that are safe and effective in targeted groups of people."
(https://www.cirm.ca.gov/patients/ac...ng, drug companies,to toxicity in human cells.)

• Informative
Likes berkeman and BillTre
phinds said:
Sorry

Likes berkeman

1. How do stem cells help in drug trials?

Stem cells are unique cells that have the ability to develop into different types of cells in the body. This makes them valuable in drug trials because they can be used to model different diseases and test the effectiveness of potential treatments.

2. What types of stem cells are used in drug trials?

The two main types of stem cells used in drug trials are embryonic stem cells and induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs). Embryonic stem cells are derived from embryos and have the potential to develop into any type of cell in the body. iPSCs are adult cells that have been reprogrammed to behave like embryonic stem cells.

3. How are stem cells used to model diseases in drug trials?

Stem cells can be differentiated into specific types of cells that are affected by a particular disease. This allows researchers to study how the disease develops and progresses, and to test potential treatments on these cells in a controlled laboratory setting.

4. What are the benefits of using stem cells in drug trials?

Using stem cells in drug trials can provide more accurate and reliable results compared to traditional animal testing. They also allow for the testing of potential treatments on human cells, which can better predict how a drug will behave in the human body.

5. Are there any ethical concerns with using stem cells in drug trials?

There have been ethical concerns surrounding the use of embryonic stem cells, as they are derived from human embryos. However, the use of iPSCs has helped alleviate these concerns as they can be created from adult cells without the need for embryos.