How do the nozzles on spray bottles work when misting?

• Thread starter The Bill
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spray Work
In summary, the conversation revolved around the design of misting nozzles for spray bottles. The initial search for misting nozzle design led to results for industrial nozzles, which did not match up with the design of a spray bottle nozzle. A search for specific design elements of spray bottle nozzles did not yield any helpful information. The conversation then shifted to discussing the mechanics of a spray bottle nozzle, with a focus on the pump design and how it turns liquid into a mist. The topic of different types of nozzles and their energy requirements was also brought up. The conversation ended with suggestions for further research and resources to understand the physics behind nozzle design and atomization of liquids.
The Bill
I looked up misting nozzle design, but the results I found referred to two types of industrial misting nozzles which don't match up to what a spray bottle looks like at all. I tried looking up design elements of spray bottle nozzles specifically, but all I found were details on how the pump, valves, fittings, and tubing work together, nothing on the misting nozzle part.

Just to be clear, this is the type of bottle and nozzle I mean:
spray-316524_960_720.jpg

Attachments

• spray-316524_960_720.jpg
    spray-316524_960_720.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 3,792
Physics news on Phys.org
When you pump the trigger it pressurizes the air in the top of the bottle. The pressure at the top of the bottle forces the water up the tube until it reaches the pump. In the pump there is a cylinder, in the cylinder there is a spring and a piston. As you pump the trigger the piston is pushed into the cylinder compressing the spring so when you release the trigger the spring pushes the piston back up which sucks in more water. If you continue pumping the water will be spayed out through a hole in the nozzle that focuses it. The pump design is called a reciprocating piston pump if you would like to look up more information.

Edit to ad: Forcing the water through a nozzle that disrupts the flow of the liquid turns it into a mist.

Last edited:
Fig Neutron said:
Edit to ad: Forcing the water through a nozzle that disrupts the flow of the liquid turns it into a mist.

I am looking for explanations of the design philosophy and workings of this part of the spray bottle nozzle's function. I want sources that would tell an engineer enough to be able to design these types of nozzles, and/or satisfy a physicist that a thorough understanding of their workings had been attained. Saying that it "disrupts the flow of the liquid turns it into a mist" does not get me any closer to the information I seek.

anorlunda said:
Did you search before posting?

Yes. The fist page you linked is one that I read before posting, in fact. The second is about the impeller design. Since I am asking only about spray bottles, I believe it was already clear that I am not interested in impeller type misting nozzles.

The Bill said:
The second is about the impeller design.

Not true. The paper is about nozzle design. The paper doesn't even mention the word impeller. Further, it cites 26 other related references.

Are you working on the impression that a misting nozzle for spray bottles has different physics than nozzles for other applications?

I have’nt been able to find any links better than the ones listed above.

I tried searching diagrams and videos. There were not many, but you may be able to find what you want that way.

This may not be as descriptive as you would like, but I thought I would post it anyway in case it might help. There are a few other videos like this one.

Likes The Bill
anorlunda said:
Not true. The paper is about nozzle design. The paper doesn't even mention the word impeller. Further, it cites 26 other related references.

Are you working on the impression that a misting nozzle for spray bottles has different physics than nozzles for other applications?

My mistake. It does cover several types of nozzle, though only two in any depth. First, "Centrifugal or swirl-type pressure nozzle" which appear to be what I referred to as impeller designs. Second, "Pneumatic type nozzle (twin-fluid type nozzle)" about which it says "this type of nozzles require large amount of energy to atomize water," so I don't think this is the type of nozzle I'm looking for, though I may be mistaken about the energy requirements of small plastic spray bottles.

That article also tangentially mentions impingement nozzles, which I don't think are what I am looking for since the first article said "Impingement nozzles tend to be very expensive" based on design considerations. Then it mentions atomization by the flashing of superheated water, which I don't think is what is going on in a plastic spray bottle. Then it says "Other methods of atomization like by mechanical vibration, by supersonic or subsonic vibration and by high-voltage electricity[...]" Those do not seem to be what I am looking for, either.

As far as your question as to whether I am "working on the impression that a misting nozzle for spray bottles has different physics than nozzles for other applications?" Of course not. However, I would I would like an explanation of the specific mechanics of what is happening in the specific type of nozzle I am asking about. Would an engineer use a survey article about the design of 21st century military aircraft as a primary reference when working on a project to reconstruct and analyze World War One biplanes? I feel like that example displays a similar level of distance between the reference and application as here.

Are you interested in the physics of how a stream of liquid breaks into droplets, and how the process is a function of surface tension, density, and viscosity? If so, try searching atomization of liquids.

Fig Neutron said:
When you pump the trigger it pressurizes the air in the top of the bottle.
That function isn't necessary because you can make a simple mist pump work by just dipping the feed tube under an open liquid surface. The feed is achieved with a simple lift pump arrangement (with a ball type non return valve at the top of the delivery tube), followed by a force pump to inject liquid at high pressure through the misting nozzle.

Likes davenn
Likes sophiecentaur and Tom.G
Likes The Bill and sophiecentaur

1. How do the nozzles on spray bottles create a mist?

The nozzles on spray bottles create a mist by breaking up the liquid into tiny droplets through the use of pressure, air flow, and the shape of the nozzle.

2. What causes the mist to spray out in a fine mist instead of a stream?

The shape and size of the nozzle allows for a fine mist to be created, as well as the pressure and air flow that is released from the bottle.

3. Can the mist be adjusted to be thicker or thinner?

Yes, the mist can be adjusted by changing the pressure and air flow released from the bottle. This can be done by adjusting the nozzle or by pressing the trigger of the bottle with varying force.

4. How do the nozzles prevent clogs or blockages?

The nozzles often have a small mesh screen or filter to prevent larger particles from entering and clogging the nozzle. Additionally, the pressure and air flow from the bottle can help to clear any potential blockages.

5. Are there different types of nozzles for different types of sprays?

Yes, there are different types of nozzles that are designed for specific types of sprays. For example, there are nozzles for fine mists, streams, foams, and more. The design and shape of the nozzle will determine the type of spray that is emitted.