How do we measure gibbs free energy for irreversible processes?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of standard Gibbs free energy for irreversible spontaneous processes and how it relates to the equilibrium constant. It is explained that even reactions we consider irreversible are still reversible to some extent, and the extreme departure from equilibrium for these reactions is what provides the energy needed for biological processes. The conversation also touches on theoretical approaches for calculating entropy production and the importance of assuming local equilibrium for calculating properties in exothermic reactions.
hongiddong
I know that gibbs free energy for say a body will be equal to = Gibbs free standard energy at 1M and Ph7(-rtlnkeq) (Where k is the concentration of product/ concentration of reactant at equilibrium)+rtlnk.

How can we use the standard gibbs free for irreversible spontaneous processes? Is it that the product concentration is wayyyy higher than the reactant, therefore, irreversible chemical processes can actually be reversible, given we put more product into the body system so that le chatlier's principal may occur?

For another example for the standard free energy of keq, if the product concentration is way higher than reactant, is there even product moving to the reactant side and reactant moving to the product side at equal rates? Maybe it takes a longgg time but the rates occur. Or maybe when nothing moves across and no rates for both sides is an equal rate, omols/sec.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand your question- it sounds similar to an analysis of ATP hydrolysis- is that what you are referring to?

I guess what I mean is that, we measure standard gibbs free energy based on a chemical reaction that is in equilibrium. We then use this to find the gibbs free energy of other systems with the same chemicals.
But for some reactions they are not reversible, meaning a crazy negative gibbs free energy change for the reactant to product.

G standard = -rtlnkeq (keq is equal to concentration of products/ concentration of reactants at equilibrium.

Perhaps equilibrium for this measured reaction takes a longggg time, or the reaction has equal rates because nothing goes back and forth?

I guess I still don't understand what you mean. For example, within the cytoplasm ΔG for ATP hydrolysis = -57 kJ/mol. This is because at equilibrium, [ATP]/[ADP] = 0.0000001, while within your cells, [ATP]/[ADP] = 1000. This extreme departure from equilibrium is what provides the energy needed to keep you alive.

hongiddong said:
I guess what I mean is that, we measure standard gibbs free energy based on a chemical reaction that is in equilibrium. We then use this to find the gibbs free energy of other systems with the same chemicals.
But for some reactions they are not reversible, meaning a crazy negative gibbs free energy change for the reactant to product.

G standard = -rtlnkeq (keq is equal to concentration of products/ concentration of reactants at equilibrium.

Perhaps equilibrium for this measured reaction takes a longggg time, or the reaction has equal rates because nothing goes back and forth?
I think I understand your question. You are asking, "If we use the standard gibbs free energy to determine the equilibrium constants for reactions, how does this reconcile with reactions that are irreversible?" In this a correct interpretation of your question?

If it is a correct interpretation, then my answer is that there is no such thing as a perfectly irreversible reaction. All reactions are reversible to some extent. Reactions that we consider irreversible just have an extremely large equilibrium constant. I think this is what you were alluding to (correctly) when you were talking about crazy negative standard gibbs free energy change.

Chet

Likes 1 person
THANK YOU CHET! YESSS! I am enlightened!

There are some theoretical approaches such as the Onsager Reciprocal relations in which it is attempted to match the fluxes and forces, i mean, the reaction rates and the -deltaG/T forces, for chemical reactions. This allows calculating the rate of the entropy production. Irreversible thermodynamics, however, still requires the approximation of the Local Thermodynamic Equilibrium hypothesis... I could recommend the works of Denbigh, De Donder, and lately, Kjelstrup, Hinderink and others. It is pretty interesting such topic. In my case, the reaction is ammonia, and it is expected that as an exothermic , equilibrium limited reaction at high temperatures, the equilibrium be not attained and rather, a refrigeration system shift the reacting mixture away from equilibrium to increase the ammonia yield... that is, even though equilibrium is not achieved at the exit of the reactor, it is required the assumption of this local equilibrium to perform the properties calculation : ).

Feel free to write me to speak more about this!

Daniel Florez-Orrego said:
There are some theoretical approaches such as the Onsager Reciprocal relations in which it is attempted to match the fluxes and forces, i mean, the reaction rates and the -deltaG/T forces, for chemical reactions. This allows calculating the rate of the entropy production. Irreversible thermodynamics, however, still requires the approximation of the Local Thermodynamic Equilibrium hypothesis... I could recommend the works of Denbigh, De Donder, and lately, Kjelstrup, Hinderink and others. It is pretty interesting such topic. In my case, the reaction is ammonia, and it is expected that as an exothermic , equilibrium limited reaction at high temperatures, the equilibrium be not attained and rather, a refrigeration system shift the reacting mixture away from equilibrium to increase the ammonia yield... that is, even though equilibrium is not achieved at the exit of the reactor, it is required the assumption of this local equilibrium to perform the properties calculation : ).

Feel free to write me to speak more about this!
Even though the OP referred initially to reversible processes, it became clear that what he was really referring to was reversible chemical reactions, which is a different animal.

1. What is gibbs free energy?

Gibbs free energy is a thermodynamic quantity that measures the amount of energy available to do useful work in a system at constant temperature and pressure. It is represented by the symbol G and is used to predict whether a process is spontaneous or not.

2. Why is gibbs free energy important for irreversible processes?

Gibbs free energy is important for irreversible processes because it helps us understand the direction of the process and whether it is spontaneous or not. In an irreversible process, the system is not in equilibrium and the change in gibbs free energy is a measure of the energy lost or gained by the system during the process.

3. How do we calculate gibbs free energy for irreversible processes?

Gibbs free energy for irreversible processes can be calculated using the equation ΔG = ΔH - TΔS, where ΔH is the change in enthalpy, T is the temperature, and ΔS is the change in entropy. This equation is based on the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase.

4. What is the significance of a negative ΔG value for irreversible processes?

A negative ΔG value for irreversible processes indicates that the process is spontaneous and will occur without the need for external energy input. This means that the system will naturally move towards a lower energy state, and the process is thermodynamically favorable.

5. How do we experimentally measure gibbs free energy for irreversible processes?

Gibbs free energy for irreversible processes can be measured experimentally by measuring the change in enthalpy and entropy of the system. This can be done using calorimetry to measure the change in heat, and by measuring the change in temperature and/or pressure. These values can then be used in the equation ΔG = ΔH - TΔS to calculate the gibbs free energy for the process.