How Do You Balance the Reaction Between Nitric Acid and Calcium Carbonate?

  • Thread starter Thread starter norrington
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ap Chem Response
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 6K views
norrington
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


My questions pertain to #4b of the free response.

Question: Excess nitric acid is added to solid calcium carbonate. The question asks to predict a balanced equation for this reaction.




The Attempt at a Solution



what I wrote down was:

H+ + CO3 ----> H2O + CO2

which might be down the right road but isn't correct.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What about bicarbonate?

Show the calcium as well as nitrate for completeness.
 
woops

I should have included that the AP exam does not require that you show spectator ions, I realized shortly after posting that my confusion was only coming from not writing in the 2+ charge for the carbonate, so I think that what I have is generally correct.