1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you build a 5.0V regulated power supply?

1. Sep 18, 2006 #1
    i am stuck. i have no idea how to start on this project. I have to build a power supply that produces 5.0V regulated. i can't use regulators so i have to build it but i have no idea how to get started. i have an ac course to start with. i would appreciate any ideas, insights or designs you might have.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

What do you mean that you "have an ac course to start with"? Does that mean that you have taken an AC electronics course in school, or does that mean that you need to design and build your power supply to run off of the AC mains 120/240Vrms power?

What topologies are you considering for your design? When you "have no idea how to start on this project", a good starting point would be your textbooks, or wikipedia.org:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?