Charge bateries with regulated power supply

In summary: Your car batteries will be safe to charge even if the power supply is not properly rated for that task, but you should probably use a battery charger.
nricacos
I have a 230V to 13.8V / 20A DC regulated power supply and two 12V / 50A car batteries.
What circuit must I use between them to charge the batteries and how long it will last the cycle?
Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
You would be able to partly charge the batteries, but maybe not fully charge them.

The power supply voltage really needs to be another volt or two higher to give the batteries a full charge.

Your batteries would be 50 Amp-hour batteries, so if you fully charged them at, say, 10 amps each, they would take about 5 hours to charge. 10 amps times 5 hours = 50 amp-hours.
If they were charged at 5 amps, they would charge in 10 hours. This is only a guide and the actual time may be a bit longer or shorter.

You would need some current limiting if your power supply does not already have it. The simplest is probably a car head lamp, but any suitable high powered resistor of about 2 ohms would be OK.
You just place this in series with the battery.
It will get hot, though. A flat battery being charged from 13.8 volts through a 2 ohm resistor would cause about 95 watts to be dissipated in the resistor.

The realistic answer to this, though, is to go and buy a battery charger.

Dear vk6kro,
Thank you for your immediate response.
I wonder if there is any circuit to convert the power supply to a charger.

Good afternoon, nricacos and welcome to Physics Forums.

Your power supply will charge your car batteries just fine, though not both at once.

A pretty flat (but otherwise good) nominal 12 volt battery will have have a terminal voltage of about 10.5 volts.

Connecting it to your power supply will probably initially draw 8 - 12 amps. This current will reduce as the battery voltage rises towards 13.8 volts.

I doubt you need an intervening resistor, just stout wiring and an ammeter if the power supply does not already have one.

By comparison a car alternator is set to around 14.5 volts so will charge faster (in the 20 - 30 amp range). This is not a problem, your supply will just take longer to do the job.

Connect the battery, and monitor the current on the ammeter.

Initially it will be several amps
As time proceeds the current will fall
Until it has reached a fairly low steady value (less than 0.5 amps)
Your battery is then charged.

Don't forget to do this in a ventilated space, check the battery fluid levels and open the battery caps if appropriate.

go well

nricacos said:
Dear vk6kro,
Thank you for your immediate response.
I wonder if there is any circuit to convert the power supply to a charger.

Yes, there are ways.

One would be to open up your regulated power supply and get access to the higher voltage before the regulator. This may be something like 20 volts and you would need to limit the current.

A battery needs about 14.4 volts to fully charge it.
Wikipedia: Typical (daily) charging: 14.2 V to 14.5 V (depending on manufacturer's recommendation)
There are voltage booster modules on Internet and you could use one of these.
I saw some recently that would give enough boost to charge the batteries properly and they cost only a few dollars.

This one may be suitable:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DC-10-32V-12-35V-Step-up-Boost-Power-Supply-Module-/120757538824?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item1c1db5d008
You would still need to add current limiting, though.
They claim you could even charge a 24 volt battery from a 12 volt one.
I haven't tried these, but they seem promising.

However 12 V battery chargers are very cheap and well worth considering.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no knowledge of battery charging. Do you have to worry about over charging? I know NiCad will be destroy if left in charger without shut off upon fully charged( temperature sensor). Or is Lead Acid battery is different?

1. How does a regulated power supply charge a battery?

A regulated power supply charges a battery by providing a constant and controlled amount of current and voltage to the battery. This ensures that the battery is charged safely and efficiently without the risk of overcharging or damaging the battery.

2. What is the difference between a regulated power supply and a regular power supply?

A regulated power supply has built-in circuitry that maintains a constant output voltage despite changes in input voltage or load. This ensures a stable and controlled output, making it suitable for charging sensitive devices like batteries. A regular power supply, on the other hand, does not have this circuitry and may have fluctuations in output voltage.

3. Can a regulated power supply charge different types of batteries?

Yes, a regulated power supply can charge different types of batteries as long as the voltage and current settings are adjusted accordingly. Different batteries may require different charging parameters, so it is important to refer to the manufacturer's guidelines.

4. Can a regulated power supply overcharge a battery?

No, a regulated power supply has built-in protection mechanisms that prevent overcharging. Once the battery reaches its full capacity, the power supply will automatically stop charging or reduce the charging current to a trickle to avoid overcharging.

5. What are the advantages of using a regulated power supply to charge batteries?

Using a regulated power supply to charge batteries has several advantages. It ensures a safe and controlled charging process, protects the battery from overcharging, and can charge multiple types of batteries. It also allows for adjustable voltage and current settings, making it suitable for a wide range of battery charging needs.