How Do You Calculate a Ship's Velocity Given Its Direction and Displacement?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Below
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Vectors
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Below
Messages
15
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A ship traveling 55 degrees [W of N] is 65.0 km farther north after 3.0 h. What is the ship's velocity?

Homework Equations



N/A

The Attempt at a Solution



I am totally not sure how to start this problem. My teacher told me there are two type of problems, AIM or Drift. I think this problem is AIM. I know then I have to draw the resultant first.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Below said:

Homework Statement



A ship traveling 55 degrees [W of N] is 65.0 km farther north after 3.0 h. What is the ship's velocity?

This is a problem involving components of the velocity vector. Draw the direction of the velocity vector, which points 55º west of north. Then draw its northward and westward components so that you've formed a right triangle.

You are told that the ship is 65 km farther north after 3 hours, so what is the northward component of the ship's velocity (the speed in the northerly direction)? How can you use trigonometry to find the length of the hypotenuse of this triangle, which represents the total magnitude of the ship's velocity? (You already know the direction.)