1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

help (: adding vectors! components... angles, drawing.

1. Jul 9, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A ship travelling 55 degrees [W of N] is 65km farther north after 3.0h. What is the ship's velocity.

2. Relevant equations
    sin, cos, tan?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that Vground= Vair + Vwind, and that Vground = Vboat + Vcurrent, but i'm not sure if that is even relevant to the question... So far I have drawn out :

Do I add these vectors together or subtract? and am I trying to find the boat's velocity or ground velocity. I think boat velocity but what does that make of the 55 degrees W of N... I am so lost please help (:

Screen Shot 2017-07-09 at 7.48.31 PM.png

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2017 #2
    You need to show some attempt at a solution first before others will try to help you.
    Try drawing out the problem at least.

4. Jul 9, 2017 #3
    Ok! ive never used this before lol so I don't know what I'm doing. But thanks, I will do that.

5. Jul 9, 2017 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Your image link appears to be addressing a target that is not publicly accessible. I suggest that you UPLOAD the image file to the PF server so that it's made available t our homework helpers (use the UPLOAD button).

6. Jul 9, 2017 #5
    Thank you!!!

7. Jul 9, 2017 #6

gneill

On your image you've labelled the distances x and y. y is the distance that the boat traveled in the northward direction, and presumably x is distance it traveled in the westward direction. Can you determine the total distance it traveled along its trajectory? (hint: what's the length of the hypotenuse of that triangle?)

8. Jul 9, 2017 #7
    Now im not sure... Do I use v=d/t. The answer in the book says its 38km/h but that doesn't seem to match up with my numbers.

Attached Files:

9. Jul 9, 2017 #8

gneill

Your evaluation of c doesn't look right. Please show your calculation in detail. What is a? What is b?

10. Jul 9, 2017 #9
    Oops I see where I made a mistake.. instead of putting a as 65 squared, I put 95 squared. Just a calculation error! Thanks for your help, I've figured out the question now (:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted