How Do You Calculate an Electron's Motion in a Magnetic Field?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 6K views
exitwound
Messages
291
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



An electron of kinetic energy 1.20keV circles in a plane perpendicular to a uniform magnetic field. The orbit radius is 25.0cm. Find a.) The electron's speed. b.) the magnetic field magnitude c.)the circling frequency, and d) the period of the motion.

Homework Equations



[tex]F=m\frac{v^2}{r}[/tex]
[tex]qvB=m\frac{v^2}{r}[/tex]
[tex]r= \frac{mv}{qB}[/tex]
[tex]T=\frac {2\pi r}{v}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



1.2 keV = 1.92 x10^-16 Joules

I don't know what to do to find the velocity. I know if it's moving, it's kinetic energy can be linked to the velocity somehow. It's acceleration is v^2/r but that's all I know.

Anyone?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
That's what I did FIVE TIMES and kept getting the wrong answer. I do it NOW after you've responded and it's correct. I was absolutely sure that .5mv^2 was the right formula to use. I don't know what I was doing wrong.

[itex]1.92x10^{-16}=.5(9.1x10^{-31})(v^2)[/itex]

[itex]v^2=\frac{(1.92x10^{-16})(2)}{(9.1x10^{-31})}[/itex]
[itex]v=2.05x10^7[/itex]

sorry to bug you.