How Do You Calculate Distance and Direction Using the Law of Cosines?

  • Thread starter Thread starter finfanrb23-rw
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Law
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
finfanrb23-rw
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Two geological field teams are working in a remote area. A global positioning system (GPS) tracker at their base camp shows the location of the first team as 39 km away, 11° north of west, and the second team as 30 km away, 38° east of north. When the first team uses its GPS to check the position of the second team, what does the GPS give for the following?
(a) the second team's distance from the first team
(b) the second team's direction from the first team, measured relative to due east

Homework Equations



The law of cosines

c^2=a^2 + b^2 - 2ab Cos


The Attempt at a Solution



Alright I got part a) using the law of cosines and solving for c... But for the life of me I can't figure out b)! I know it's something simple I'm overlooking, considering I have all of the sides... And one angle... Any help would be greatly appreciated...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
finfanrb23-rw said:

The Attempt at a Solution



Alright I got part a) using the law of cosines and solving for c... But for the life of me I can't figure out b)! I know it's something simple I'm overlooking, considering I have all of the sides... And one angle... Any help would be greatly appreciated...

You'll need to use the sine rule

[tex]\frac{A}{sinA}=\frac{B}{sinB}=\frac{C}{sinC}[/tex]