1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resolving vectors - direction issue

1. Aug 20, 2010 #1
    So I've worked out part (a) - just not (b) as I don't understand how it can be measured from due east. I don't want it worked out for me, just help me understand this due east business. I can't see how it can be anything but due west...

Background:
    Orienteering teams are operating in a densely forrested area.The GPS at their base shows the location of team A as 78.2 km away, 14° north of west, and team b as 231 km away, 59° east of north.

When team A uses its GPS to check the position of the team b, what does it give for the team b's (a) distance from them and (b) direction, measured from due east?

2. Relevant equations

Resolving vectors into components

3. The attempt at a solution

I know how to do this question except when it gets to: direction from due east. It seems that B's team could be measured from A, but this would be the due West right? hmmmmm... can someone help? thanks:)

The image below was constructed to show that theta could be from B team near east... I don't know it will show you an insight anyway...

[URL]http://www.flickr.com/photos/40253561@N06/4910222024/[/URL]

Thank you so much!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2010 #2
  4. Aug 21, 2010 #3

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

First, draw the vectors correctly to scale. How can 78.1 km be longer than 231 km?

To determine the vector displacement of b from A draw a vector with its tail at A and its head at b. Use A as the origin (i.e. N-S,E-W axes through A) to determine direction from A.

AM

5. Aug 22, 2010 #4
    Thank you very much! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook