How Do You Calculate Distance Traveled by a Car Under Constant Acceleration?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 32K views
ae4jm
Messages
79
Reaction score
0
[SOLVED] Constant Acceleration

Homework Statement


a. What constant acceleration, in SI units, must a car have to go from zero to 60 mph in 10s?

b. What fraction of g is this?

c. How far has the car traveled when it reaches 60 mph? Give your answer both in SI units and in feet.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I have gotten answers for parts a and b, but I get really confused on part c.

For a: 1 mph = .447 m/s, so 60(.447)=26.82 m/s. (26.82 m/s)/(10s)=2.68 m/s^2

For b: g=gravity=9.8 m/s^2. (2.68 m/s^2)/(9.8 m/s^2)=.273(100)=27.3%

For c: I'm not sure where to start to find my answer.

I appreciate any help!

I just solved it! I've worked on part C for about 45 minutes to an hour. I just found an equation that worked, imagine that.

For c: I used d=Vi(t)+0.5(a)(t^2) So, d=(0 m/s)(10 s)+0.5(2.68 m/s^2)(10^2)=134 m. Then to convert 134 m to feet = 134(39.37)=5,275.58 in/12=440 ft

Hopefully this will help someone else out that is new to physics, like myself.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
use one of them there equations from your textbook:
[tex] x = \frac{1}{2}a t^2 + v_0 t + x_0[/tex]
 
This is the exact equation I used! Please see the bottom of my previous post, I just finished editing my initial post. I appreciate your help, all of the great help I've received from this forum!
 
Yeah and hopefully your teacher can help... oh wait...