How Do You Calculate Electric Flux Through a Circular Disk in an Electric Field?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
Physicus2
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


"Given a constant electric field E = E(subscript 0)(1 / square root of 2 i + 1 / square root of 2 k), find the electric flux through a circular disk of radius a lying flat in the x-y plane. Orient the disk so that the positive direction is toward positive z.


Homework Equations



The most relevant equation to this problem is Eflux = integral of E dot dA.

The Attempt at a Solution



I've completely finished a solution, but there are many places to make mistakes here, I think, despite what may be a simple problem.

I said that Eflux = (-E subscript 0) double integral from 0 to a (x and y) of E dot k dx dy. I went on to place 1 / square root of 2 into the integral, but only once for the k and not the i component. Would this be correct? I then integrated with respect to x and got (1 / square root of 2)x dy. Integrating again, I think I get (1 / square root of 2)a^2. Note that i replaced x with a there. I'm unsure if I did my double integral correctly...I'm only beginning Calculus 3 now, and it wasn't a prerequisite for Physics. Oh well.

When all is said and done, I get -E(subscript 0) a^2 / square root of 2.

Is my answer close? I presumed that E is negative because the disk was in the positive Z direction. I apologize for the fact that I'm unable to upload images of my work. Any help would be very much appreciated!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Is the field is uniform?

if no then think of integration.

if yes, no need of integration simply write field and the area as vectors and perform dot product of them.