How Do You Calculate Heat of Vaporization Using the Clausius Clapeyron Equation?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 17K views
mygymnst
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



slope: -8.000 x 10^3 K
The graph is of ln vapor pressure of a gas vs. invert kelvin temperature
Using the Clausius Clapeyron equation, find Hvap (heat of vaporization)

Homework Equations



Clausius Clapeyron equation: ln P= (-delta Hvap/R)*(1/T) + C

The Attempt at a Solution



I tried using the given slope in the equation as T. Then I tried using y=mb. I multiplied the slope by 100K thinking I could find lnP.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
In this example you have the equation in the form of a line already.

y=mx + b

where y is lnP, m is -deltaHvap/R, x is 1/T and b is C. You are asked to determine the value of -deltaHvap given that the slope (m) is -8000 K.

Can you find a way to tease out the -deltaHvap from the expression for the slope (-8000 K = -deltaHvap/R)?