How Do You Calculate Resultant Displacement from Multiple Paths?

In summary, the conversation discusses a person's resultant displacement after following a specific path and reaching the end point. The given image and equations are also mentioned. The person attempted to solve the problem but was unsuccessful, leading to a change in the problem itself.
FalconKICK

Homework Statement

3. A person going for a walk follows the path shown in Figure P3.57 (y1 = 320 m, http://xs124.xs.to/xs124/08064/theta_1_452.gif =[/URL] 58.0°). The total trip consists of four straight-line paths. At the end of the walk, what is the person's resultant displacement measured from the starting point?

http://xs124.xs.to/xs124/08064/p3-57alt_1_379.gif

Homework Equations

Should I draw two right triangles and solve each?

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted solving it but got no where.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
How about an angle of 35 degrees in a clockwise direction from the negative x-axis...

Sorry I forgot to add the questions :(

I solved this one. I'd like to change my problem so I'll edit it

Related to How Do You Calculate Resultant Displacement from Multiple Paths?

1. What is vector distance?

Vector distance is a measure of the length or magnitude of a vector. It is typically calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, taking into account the horizontal and vertical components of the vector.

2. How is vector direction represented?

Vector direction is typically represented using an arrow, with the length of the arrow indicating the magnitude and the direction of the arrow indicating the direction of the vector. It can also be represented using angles or coordinates.

3. What is the difference between displacement and distance in terms of vectors?

Displacement is a vector quantity that refers to the change in position of an object in a particular direction. Distance, on the other hand, is a scalar quantity that refers to the total length of the path traveled by an object, regardless of direction.

4. How is vector distance and direction used in real-life applications?

Vector distance and direction are used in a variety of real-life applications, such as navigation, physics, and engineering. They can help determine the speed and direction of an object, the force and direction of an applied force, and the direction and magnitude of a displacement.

5. Can vectors have negative distance and direction?

Yes, vectors can have negative distance and direction. This indicates that the vector is pointing in the opposite direction or has a negative magnitude. It is important to pay attention to the direction of a vector when performing calculations to ensure accurate results.