How Do You Calculate Resultant Force Vectors and Their Angles?

In summary, the conversation was about expressing forces as Cartesian vectors and determining the magnitude and coordinate direction angles of the resultant force. The attempt at a solution involved breaking down the forces into their components and finding the resultant force. However, there was an error in the calculation of the x component of F2, resulting in an incorrect magnitude and angle for the resultant force. The correct values were found to be 733N with angles of 53.5, 65.3, and 133 degrees for the x, y, and z directions respectively.
rico22

Homework Statement

a) Express each force as a Cartesian vector.

b) Determine the magnitude and coordinate direction angles of the resultant force acting on the hook.

See figured attached.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First I expressed F1 and F2 into its x, y, and z components.
F1: 300(cos 30°)[itex]\hat{}i[/itex] +0[itex]\hat{}j[/itex] -300(sin30°)[itex]\hat{}k[/itex]... this gives 260[itex]\hat{}i[/itex] +0[itex]\hat{}j[/itex] -150[itex]\hat{}k[/itex]

F2: 500(cos 45)(sin 45) + 500(cos 45)(cos 30) - 500(sin 45)
250[itex]\hat{}i[/itex] + 306[itex]\hat{}j[/itex] - 354[itex]\hat{}k[/itex]

Resultant (FR) = F1 + F2: 510[itex]\hat{}i[/itex] +306[itex]\hat{}j[/itex] - 504[itex]\hat{}k[/itex]

magnitude of resultant = √(5102+3062+(-504)2) ≈779 N

θx= cos-1(510/779) ≈49°

θy= cos-1(306/779) ≈67°

θz= cos-1(504/779) ≈130°

But this is wrong its supposed to be magnitude of resultant = 733N with angles of 53.5, 65.3, 133 respectively. I don't really know what I am doing wrong. Any type of help would greatly be appreciated.

Attachments

• phpRKwJ2v.png
    phpRKwJ2v.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 1,773
Physics news on Phys.org
Double check this: F2: 500(cos 45)(sin 45) + 500(cos 45)(cos 30) - 500(sin 45)
Particulary 500(cos 45)(sin 45)

Last edited:
oh wow, ... thanks!... even when I was typing it I didn't catch it...

F2x=500cos(45)sin(30)
that is the right one

Ahmed Said said:
F2x=500cos(45)sin(30)
that is the right one

You might be six years too late with that answer!

1. What is a vector in physics?

A vector in physics is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude. Examples of vectors in physics include force, velocity, and acceleration.

2. How are vectors represented mathematically?

Vectors are represented mathematically using coordinates or components. In a two-dimensional coordinate system, a vector can be represented by its x and y components. In a three-dimensional coordinate system, a vector can be represented by its x, y, and z components.

3. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that has only magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. Examples of scalars in physics include time, temperature, and mass. Vectors, on the other hand, include quantities like displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

4. How are vectors added or subtracted?

Vectors can be added or subtracted using the head-to-tail method. This involves placing the tail of one vector at the head of the other vector, then drawing a line from the tail of the first vector to the head of the second vector. The resulting vector is the sum or difference of the two original vectors.

5. How do forces act on objects?

Forces act on objects by causing a change in their motion. They can cause an object to speed up, slow down, or change direction. Forces are represented by vectors, with the direction of the force vector indicating the direction of the force and the magnitude of the vector representing the strength of the force.