1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you Calculate shear stress?

1. Apr 15, 2012 #1
    So i have a stub axle shaft, I have determined maximum bending stress at several locations and the bending moments, my question is how do you calculate shear stress in a cantilevered beam?
    I assumed the shear would be longitudinal along the shaft.
    Thanks for any assistance given.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2012 #2

OldEngr63

Gold Member

Differentiate the bending moment to obtain the shear stress.

4. Apr 19, 2012 #3
    Maybe you can use some FEA tools, e.g.PROE

5. Apr 19, 2012 #4
    Measure the area of the side of the object that is in contact with the object applying force in meters. For example, if your objects are two boxes sliding past one another, measure the area of the side of the box. To find the area, measure the length and width of the side of the object with your ruler and then multiply these two values together.This will be your "A" in the shear stress equation.

6. Apr 20, 2012 #5

OldEngr63

Gold Member

Do you know the relation between bending moment and shear stress? If not, check your textbook. It is vitally important for you to know this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook