How Do You Calculate T2 in a System of Three Blocks on a Frictionless Surface?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jeremy04
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
jeremy04
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Three blocks on a frictionless surface are connected by massless strings, with
M1 = 1.80 kg,
M2 = 2.30 kg, and
M3 = 3.70 kg.
Due to the force F acting on M3, as shown, the system accelerates to the right.
Given that T1 is 3.30 N, calculate T2

attachment.php?attachmentid=10884&stc=1&d=1189701552.gif




Homework Equations



F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution



I got 1.83 m/s^2 for T1's acceleration...

The only thing is, how do I know that's the same acceleration for all of em..

or is that implied?

Then I thought to add masses of M1 and M2, and use the accerlation and get the force??



oh yeah forgot to say "Hi I'm new to the forum!"
 
Attachments
  • prob70_1001hPlane3mz.gif
    prob70_1001hPlane3mz.gif
    1.4 KB · Views: 460
Physics news on Phys.org