How Do You Calculate Tension and Force Components in a Supported Beam Scenario?

  • Thread starter Thread starter emerica1254
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Force Tension
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 3K views
emerica1254
Messages
13
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A 1320-N uniform beam is attached to a vertical wall at one end and is supported by a cable at the other end. A 1960-N crate hangs from the far end of the beam. Using the data shown in the figure, find (a) the magnitude of the tension in the wire and the magnitudes of the (b) horizontal and (c) vertical components of the force that the wall exerts on the left end of the beam.
ch09p_20.gif

Homework Equations


F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution


I'm pretty stuck on this, if someone could give me some advice that would be very helpful.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
hi emerica1254! :smile:

you'll need one moment and two directions :wink:
 
hi emerica1254! :wink:

show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:
 
Ive tried tension of rope =1320cos50+1960*9.8
Vertical force= 1320sin30+1960*9.8
Horizontal force= 1320cos30+1960*9.8
 
I was using the forces from the weight of the box and bar and l also used the angle. Don't i need a length to use torque?
 
call the length L …

it'll cancel out in the end anway :smile:​
 
I'm still not getting the right answer and the only equations i can think of using are the ones i already tried.
 
I'm not sure what you mean, are you talking about inertia? i know I=1/3*M*L squared for the beam
and Torque= I*angular acceleration