How Do You Calculate the Acceleration of a Mass in a Pulley System?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
quiteacacophony
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A 1.0 kg mass (mA) and a 4.0 kg mass (mB) are attached to a lightweight cord that passes over a frictionless pulley. The hanging masses are free to move. Find the acceleration of the larger mass.

Homework Equations



Fnet = ma = FB-FA
Fhanging object=m x acceleration due to gravity

The Attempt at a Solution



I've gotten 7.35m/s/s about thirty times now but the homework is on webassign and I only have one last try to get it right. It's high school physics, a college prep class, so I expect someone can figure it out.

Other

The masses are on opposite sides of the pulleys.
 
Physics news on Phys.org