Coefficient of kinetic friction in a pulley system with a 4kg and 2kg mass

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
psycovic23
Messages
47
Reaction score
0
"Two blocks are attached to a string that passes over a frictionless pulley. One of the blocks is 4kg and rests on a rough horizontal surface. The other block is a 2kg block that hangs over the edge of the surface. When the system is released, the 2 kg mass falls from rest and attains the speed of 2m/s after traveling a distance of 3 meters"

The first question is "what is the loss in mechanical energy" and I get 56J, which is right according to my teacher. However, the second question is "what is the coefficient of kinetic friction between the 4 kg block and the rough surface?"

What I do is:

Loss in mechanical energy = energy of friction

Thus:

56 = Fd =
56 = umgd =
56 = u * 4 * 9.8 * 3m

and I get .47. However, the answer is .40. What am I doing wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
How did you obtain 56 J?

Also think, what is the tensile force in the string?

There is friction, and there is the force required to accelerate the 4 kg mass laterally. What is the lateral acceleration of the 4 kg block?