How Do You Calculate the Distance Between Two Slits in a Double Slit Experiment?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JSapit
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 9K views
JSapit
Messages
34
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Light of 650 nm is incident on two slits. A maximum is seen at an angle of 10.93degrees and a minimum of 11.73degrees. What is the order m of the maximum?

What is the distance d between the slits?

Homework Equations



dsin(theta)=m(lambda) - max

dsin(theta)=(m+1/2)(lambda - min

The Attempt at a Solution



So I started out with the two equations, one for the constructive interference and destructive interference. I solved one equation for d, and then substituted that solved equation into the other to try and find m. I don't know if it was an error in math or what, but I can't seem to solve this problem. Is there an easier way that this, or is this the easiest?

P.S. Sorry I've posted three threads for three different questions, but I'm having trouble with this chapter. Thank you for your patience and your help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds good to me. I wrote the two equations
mL = d*sin(A) and (m+.5)L = d*sin(B) and divided them to eliminate the d.
This almost resulted in a whole number - one % off. Close enough, I guess.
 
What did you get for your m? I took an m out after I divided the two equations, so it looked like m=(.5sinA)/sinB, which got me about .466330. I tried entering it and it wasn't right. My math is definitely wrong ._.
 
Dividing the 2 equations, I got
1 + .5/m = sin(B)/sin(A) = 1.072203
so .5/m = .072203
m = 6.92
 
That explains what I did wrong. I figured it out. Thanks for all your help Delphi!