What Is the Distance Between the Slits in Young's Double-Slit Experiment?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
Aoiumi
Messages
23
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


When two parallel slits are illuminated with monochromatic light of wavelength 632.8 nm, the angle between the center of the central maximum and the center of the second side maximum is .45 degrees. What is the distance between the parallel slits.


Homework Equations



d sin θ = n λ



The Attempt at a Solution



d=2(632.8 nm)/sin 45 degrees

d = 1487.36 nm

My "d" value seems a bit odd, so I wanted to make sure I did this correctly. Note that I assigned "2" as the value of n because the problem said "second side maximum". Thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
.45 degrees and 45 degrees are not the same thing. Apart from that (and the resulting wrong value for d), it looks fine.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person