How Do You Calculate the E-Field of a Semi-Circle with a Uniformly Charged Line?

  • Thread starter Thread starter forty
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Circle E-field
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 5K views
forty
Messages
132
Reaction score
0
A line charge of uniform density [tex]\lambda[/tex] forms a semi-circle of radius R0. Determine the magnitude and direction of the electric field intensity at the center of the semi-circle.

I won't bother with uploading a picture I'm pretty sure you can picture this without.

My trouble with this is I'm unsure whether I need to do a double integral.

So here is my working.

E = (1/4[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\epsilon[/tex]) q/r2 r

As the problem is symmetric only the cos([tex]\theta[/tex]) components add. So for a small piece of charge dq

Ei = (1/4[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\epsilon[/tex]) dq/R02 cos([tex]\theta[/tex])

Now for this I have to sum up all the dq's but they are also all have a different angle. So do I do an integral for theta from -[tex]\pi[/tex]/2 to [tex]\pi[/tex]/2 ?

Anyway the answer I get is [tex]\lambda[/tex]/2[tex]\epsilon[/tex]R0

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I'm new to latex.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
forty said:
A line charge of uniform density [tex]\lambda[/tex] forms a semi-circle of radius R0. Determine the magnitude and direction of the electric field intensity at the center of the semi-circle.

I won't bother with uploading a picture I'm pretty sure you can picture this without.

My trouble with this is I'm unsure whether I need to do a double integral.
First of all: no. Because it's a line of charge, i.e. a one-dimensional shape, you only need to do a single integral. (Think about it: if there were a double integral, what two variables would you integrate over?) If it were a two-dimensional surface, you might need to do a double integral; if it were a 3D volume, you might need a triple integral, etc.

forty said:
So here is my working.

E = (1/4[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\epsilon[/tex]) q/r2 r

As the problem is symmetric only the cos([tex]\theta[/tex]) components add. So for a small piece of charge dq

Ei = (1/4[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\epsilon[/tex]) dq/R02 cos([tex]\theta[/tex])
Actually dE, not Ei:
[tex]\mathrm{d}\mathbd{E} = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0} \frac{\mathrm{d}q}{R_0^2}\cos\theta[/tex]
but anyway:
forty said:
Now for this I have to sum up all the dq's but they are also all have a different angle. So do I do an integral for theta from -[tex]\pi[/tex]/2 to [tex]\pi[/tex]/2 ?

Anyway the answer I get is [tex]\lambda[/tex]/2[tex]\epsilon[/tex]R0

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I'm new to latex.
I think your answer is off by a factor of [itex]\pi[/itex] but the procedure is basically right.
 
When I say double integral I mean in respect to all the dq's and all the d[tex]\theta[/tex]'s.

When you sum up all the dq's to get the total charge isn't it [tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]\pi[/tex]Ro? And the integral of cos([tex]\theta[/tex]) from -pi/2 to pi/2 = 2?

So when I put it all together I get

E = (2/4[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\epsilon[/tex])([tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]\pi[/tex]Ro/Ro2)

And it cancels to what I said?
 
forty said:
When I say double integral I mean in respect to all the dq's and all the d[tex]\theta[/tex]'s.

When you sum up all the dq's to get the total charge isn't it [tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]\pi[/tex]Ro? And the integral of cos([tex]\theta[/tex]) from -pi/2 to pi/2 = 2?

So when I put it all together I get

E = (2/4[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\epsilon[/tex])([tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]\pi[/tex]Ro/Ro2)

And it cancels to what I said?
For a small element dL, charge dq = λ*dL and dL = R*dθ.
So the electric field at the center dE = μο/4π*λR*cosθ*dθ/R^2
Or dE = μο/4π*λ*cosθ*dθ/R. Τake the integration from 0 to π.
 
isn't the integral of cos(θ)dθ from 0 to pi equal to 0?
 
forty said:
When I say double integral I mean in respect to all the dq's and all the d[tex]\theta[/tex]'s.
There's no double integral. You need to express dq in terms of the variable θ: dq = λrdθ
 
Yeah I see that now... but rl.bhat said

dE = μο/4π*λ*cosθ*dθ/R. Τake the integration from 0 to π.

isnt that integral 0? (isn't the integral of cos(θ)dθ from 0 to pi equal to 0?)
 
forty said:
Yeah I see that now... but rl.bhat said

dE = μο/4π*λ*cosθ*dθ/R. Τake the integration from 0 to π.

isnt that integral 0? (isn't the integral of cos(θ)dθ from 0 to pi equal to 0?)
The integral should be from -π/2 to +π/2. (To avoid confusion, next time describe the orientation of the semicircle and how you define θ.)
 
I figured that after the first post I should of put up a picture. Thanks for clearing that up Doc Al (like always :) ). All makes sense now!

Thanks all!
 
forty said:
isn't the integral of cos(θ)dθ from 0 to pi equal to 0?
Sorry. When you start with one end of the semicircle, the component of the field which add up is dEsinθ, rather dE*cosθ. Ιn that case the limit is 0 to pi.