How Do You Calculate the Expectation Value of Momentum in Quantum Mechanics?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
atomicpedals
Messages
202
Reaction score
7
I've managed to get myself confused on a seemingly simple point of mathematics. When I calculate the expectation value of momentum in quantum mechanics

[tex]<p>=\int{\psi* \frac{\hbar}{i} \frac{d}{dx} \psi dx}[/tex]
To what should I be applying the derivative? [itex]\psi[/itex]?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Of course you would apply it to ψ. What else?
 
Order of operation would rule out complex conjugate of [itex]\psi[/itex]. So, instead of being like <x> which can simplify to

[tex]<x>=\int{|\psi|^{2}xdx}[/tex]
it would instead be
[tex]<p_x>=\int{\psi * \frac{\hbar}{i} \frac{d \psi}{dx} dx}[/tex]
 
atomicpedals said:
Order of operation would rule out complex conjugate of [itex]\psi[/itex]. So, instead of being like <x> which can simplify to

[tex]<x>=\int{|\psi|^{2}xdx}[/tex]
it would instead be
[tex]<p_x>=\int{\psi * \frac{\hbar}{i} \frac{d \psi}{dx} dx}[/tex]

Yes. That's it.