How Do You Calculate the Force of Tension in a Pendulum Rope?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 8K views
enantiomer1
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
A bowling ball weighing 71.2 N is attached to the ceiling by a 3.90 m rope. The ball is pulled to one side and released; it then swings back and forth like a pendulum. As the rope swings through its lowest point, the speed of the bowling ball is measured at 4.30 m/s

I've figured out that acceleration = 4.74 m/s2
Now all I need to know is the force of tension in the rope , I've tried FT= ma
but that isn't working so I'm stuck
anyone know what equation I'm missing?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If the question is what is the tension of the rope at the lowest point, then you should be thinking in terms of both mg and mv2/R.
 
enantiomer1 said:
I've tried FT= ma
but that isn't working so I'm stuck
That would work if Ft was the only force acting on the ball, but it's not. Set the net force equal to ma.