How do you calculate the inductance of a metal sphere with electrical contacts?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter John Shillington
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Inductance Metal Sphere
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 7K views
John Shillington
Messages
5
Reaction score
1
Hey everyone this is my first thread i was wondering how you calculate the inductance of a solid sphere. Say a sphere for example of 5cm diameter with electrical contacts on opposing sides 0.5 cm in diameter.
Any help would be much appreciated
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The simplest way is to assume a current I flowing through the sphere. Then, given this I, calculate the magnetic field everywhere. Then, calculate the total magnetic field energy by integrating B^2/(2*μ0) over all space. This should give an answer proportional to I^2. The total inductive energy is L*I^2/2, so you can calculate L by equating the total magnetic field energy to the inductive energy L I^2/2.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman and tech99
Thanks for your reply, it was informative.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman