How Do You Calculate the Initial Velocity of a Car in a Perpendicular Collision?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
eltavo809
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A motorcycle with a mass of m1 = 200 kg and a speed of v1 = 120 km/h collides with a car of mass m2 = 600 kg, traveling in a perpendicular direction to the motorcycle. After the collision, both vehicles travel in a direction that forms an angle of 60°.

Find the initial velocity of the car.

Homework Equations



P = m * v
I = Pf - Pi

The Attempt at a Solution



So basically I would need to know if what I did is ok. I have attached the attempt at the solution. Thansks in advance guys!
 
Attachments
  • scan.jpg
    scan.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 390
Physics news on Phys.org
I first calculated the momentum of the motorcycle before the collision:Pm = m1 * v1 = 200 kg * 120 km/h = 24000 kgm/hThen I calculated the momentum after the collision, using the conservation of momentum:Pfin = Pm + Mc = 24000 kgm/h + 600 kg * vc = 24000 kgm/h + 600vSince the momenta are conserved, I set the initial and final momentum to be the same:24000 kgm/h = 24000 kgm/h + 600v600v = 0Therefore, the velocity of the car is 0.