How Do You Calculate the Magnetic Field Around a Wire?

In summary, the magnitude of magnetic field refers to the strength or intensity of a magnetic field at a given point, typically measured in units of Tesla or Gauss. It is calculated using the formula B = μ0 * I / 2πr and can be affected by factors such as the strength of the current, distance, and material. The magnitude is always positive, but the direction of the magnetic field can be positive or negative. It is used in various practical applications, such as motors and generators, MRI machines, and scientific research.
dev-hud
Hi there, i am facing a question that seem quite simple, i just do not know what formula to use.

the questions is:

A long straight wire carries a current of 2.5 A. Find the magnitude of the magnetic field 25 cm from the wire.

I = 2.5 A
0.025 m

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi. That's on the same vein as the one I asked a few threads ago. Find the equation that shows the magnitude B or a magnetic field at a distance r (clue: it's the one with the permeability of free space constant in). Hope that helps

Related to How Do You Calculate the Magnetic Field Around a Wire?

What is the magnitude of magnetic field?

The magnitude of magnetic field refers to the strength or intensity of a magnetic field at a given point. It is typically represented by the symbol B and is measured in units of Tesla (T) or Gauss (G).

How is the magnitude of magnetic field calculated?

The magnitude of magnetic field is calculated using the formula B = μ0 * I / 2πr, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current flowing through a wire, and r is the distance from the wire.

What factors affect the magnitude of magnetic field?

The magnitude of magnetic field can be affected by the strength of the current, the distance from the source of the field, and the material the magnetic field is passing through.

Can the magnitude of magnetic field be negative?

No, the magnitude of magnetic field is always positive. However, the direction of the magnetic field can be positive or negative, depending on the direction of the current flow.

How is the magnitude of magnetic field used in practical applications?

The magnitude of magnetic field is used in many practical applications, such as in motors and generators, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines, and compasses. It is also used in scientific research to study the behavior of particles in magnetic fields.