How Do You Calculate the Magnitude and Direction of Coplanar Forces?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
nettie2311
Messages
14
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Find the magnitude and direction of 3 coplanar forces of:
40N 45 degrees east of south
10N west
70N 35 degrees east of north


This is all new to me so anyone that can show me and hopefully explain how I can get the answer would be great.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Find the East/west and north/south components for each vector.
Add them separately to get totals in each direction.
Combine them using pythagorean thm for magnitude and inverse tan for angle.
 
Thanks for the reply, but physics is totally new to me and I've been online to try to teach myself but I'm having no luck...can you be more specific.
 
vector2.jpg