How Do You Calculate the Mass of Silver Using Constant Pressure Calorimetry?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
Bulc9408
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
PRoblem statement-
The specific heat of silver is 0.235J/gC and the specific heat of water is 4.184J/gC. A piece of silver at 94.31C was dropped into a constant pressure calorimeter containing 148g of water at 24.08C. The final temperature of the water and silver was 25.39C. Assuming that the calorimeter itself absorbs a negligible amount of heat, whatw as the mass of the silver?

This is the problem at hand, and I am on the tail end of a large study period and have finished a worksheet minus this particular problem. I would appreciate the help. Thanks.
I just don't not understand what equations to use/ how to modifythem
q=m.s.(change in temp). q=C(change in temp)?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
heat lost by silver = heat gained by water

heat = mass x specific heat x change in temperature

It leads to one simple equation that you have to solve for silver mass.