How Do You Calculate the Molar Mass of an Unknown Gas?

  • Thread starter Thread starter chem
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Gas Mass
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 7K views
chem
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
HELP PLEASE! Molar mass of unknown gas

Hey, I would really appreciate a little help. I'm kind of confused :( with this question:

A sample bulb contained 0.712 g of H2 (g) at a certain temperature and pressure. Under the same conditions of temperature an pressure, the bulb can hold 13 g of an unknown gas. What is the molar mass of the unknown mass?? Does anybody know if I have to apply the ideal gal law and how??

Thank you!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah. Write down the Ideal gas law in both the cases. Do you see how to solve it now?
 
given the only data in the problem, do i have to assume STP in both?

Thanks!
 
No, the result is independent of the temperature, pressure and volume, if we assume ideal gas behaviour.
Just write the ideal gas equations and solve.