How Do You Calculate the New Density of Kr in a Balloon?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
84 replies · 10K views
The density of Kr must be the same (or higher than) as the density of seawater 1040 kg/m3. Is that right?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Firstly, I'd replace m/V on the left with that number. And now I'd be closer to isolating the pressure, but I still don't know what it does stand for. I can't just replace p with density * h * g, that wouldn't make sense, right?
 
morechem28 said:
Firstly, I'd replace m/V on the left with that number.
Why? Because you have it? If you choose a specific value ##\rho_{\text{ H}_2\text{O}}## for the density on one side of the equation, then symbol ##p## must also acquire a subscript. It needs to be narrowed down as well. If the left-hand side has no placeholders, the right-hand side must also have no placeholders. What is an appropriate subscript for ##p##? What specific pressure is it when the left-hand side is the density of seawater?
 
kuruman said:
Why? Because you have it? If you choose a specific value ##\rho_{\text{ H}_2\text{O}}## for the density on one side of the equation, then symbol ##p## must also acquire a subscript. It needs to be narrowed down as well. If the left-hand side has no placeholders, the right-hand side must also have no placeholders. What is an appropriate subscript for ##p##? What specific pressure is it when the left-hand side is the density of seawater?
Pressure at a specific depth, I think.
 
Couldn't we say about the p on the right that it is the sum of p (atm) and the p (hydrostatic)?
 
Which specific depth? What makes it so special of all depths that you could consider? "It is the depth at which ##\dots~##" (see step 5 in #23.)
 
Yes, I see. Of course, we're looking for the depth at which the density of Kr would be the same as the density of water. But I still can't think of a formula that would help me out in expressing p in the equation.
 
morechem28 said:
Couldn't we say about the p on the right that it is the sum of p (atm) and the p (hydrostatic)?
That's exactly what we should say. You want all symbols to have subscripts. So let's see your equation.
 
Could it look like that: ρ (Kr) = ((p (atm) + p (hydr.))*M)/(R*T)? But then I think about the fact that the final pressure would be the sum of p (atm) and the p caused by buoyancy (which would give zero, since the balloon won't move, just stay at one point... I must say, I'm completely confused now.
 
As the balloon goes down, it's compressed more and more. If you hold it at any depth, the pressure of the gas must match the pressure outside. If it didn't the balloon would expand or be compressed until it does. Thus, as the balloon goes deeper, its density increases because the mass of the gas is constant while the volume decreases. There is a specific depth at which the pressure is such that the density of the gas matches the density of seawater. Say that with an equation and remember to use subscripts.
 
Thank you. And as doing so, will the sum: p (atm) + p (hydr) be the right substituent for p?
 
The density of the fluid * the depth to which the balloon would be pressed * gravitational acceleration. Is that right?
 
Let's call the critical pressure at which the density of the gas matches the density of water ##p_{cr.}##. Write an equation for it.

I have to quit now and tend to other business. See how far you can go.
 
So, it would be, as I've indicated before: ρ (Kr) = (p*M)/(R*T), and then: p (cr) = (ρ (Kr) * R * T)/M (Kr). Then the p (cr) = 307 633,87 Pa. Could this be right?
 
Then, p (hydr) = p (cr) - p (atm) = 307 633,87 - 101 325 = 206 308,87 Pa. Now, I would calculate the depth: p (hydr) = ρ (Kr) * h * g; h = p (hydr)/(ρ (Kr) * g). It seems way too easy to be right. :D But at least I've tried.
 
morechem28 said:
Then, p (hydr) = p (cr) - p (atm) = 307 633,87 - 101 325 = 206 308,87 Pa. Now, I would calculate the depth: p (hydr) = ρ (Kr) * h * g; h = p (hydr)/(ρ (Kr) * g). It seems way too easy to be right. :D But at least I've tried.
That's not what I get. I get about 30 MPa = 300 Bars. Let's see your arithmetic and your management of units.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: morechem28 and hutchphd
Chestermiller said:
That's not what I get. I get about 30 MPa = 300 Bars. Let's see your arithmetic and your management of units.
My answer agrees with @Chestermiller's answer.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: morechem28, hutchphd and Chestermiller
kuruman said:
My answer agrees with @Chestermiller's answer.
Thank you, yes. I should divide (density*R*T) by 0,0838 kg/mol, not 83,8 g/mol. Now, I get 30.76 (p (cr)) MPa. And now, I'd do this: p(cr) - p(atm) = p(hydr), p(hydr) = 30 763 387.4 - 101 325 = 30 662 062.4 Pa. And then, given that: p (hydr) = density*h*g; h = p (hydr)/(density*g) = 3005.38 m. Is that right, please?
 
morechem28 said:
Thank you, yes. I should divide (density*R*T) by 0,0838 kg/mol, not 83,8 g/mol. Now, I get 30.76 (p (cr)) MPa. And now, I'd do this: p(cr) - p(atm) = p(hydr), p(hydr) = 30 763 387.4 - 101 325 = 30 662 062.4 Pa. And then, given that: p (hydr) = density*h*g; h = p (hydr)/(density*g) = 3005.38 m. Is that right, please?
Do you really feel that 6 significant figures is justified for this calculation? What would your answer be for a realistic number of significant figures?

What is the critical pressure of Krypton? Based on this, do you feel that use of the ideal gas law was accurate enough for this calculation? How would you modify the calculation to take into account the deviation from ideal gas behavior?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: morechem28
Chestermiller said:
Do you really feel that 6 significant figures is justified for this calculation? What would your answer be for a realistic number of significant figures?

What is the critical pressure of Krypton? Based on this, do you feel that use of the ideal gas law was accurate enough for this calculation? How would you modify the calculation to take into account the deviation from ideal gas behavior?
Yes, I think I get it. But in accordance with the original assignment, I should consider Kr an ideal gas. I know that is not real, but the whole situation is meant to be hypothetical.
 
morechem28 said:
Yes, I think I get it. But in accordance with the original assignment, I should consider Kr an ideal gas. I know that is not real, but the whole situation is meant to be hypothetical.
@morechem28, note that @Chestermiller asked you some specific questions in Post #82. But you didn’t answer any of them!

If I were replying to him, here’s how I would have answered the first two questions:

Chestermiller said:
Do you really feel that 6 significant figures is justified for this calculation?
No. 3005.38 m has 6 significant which is too many. The depth can’t be determined to the nearest centimetre because the data used in the calculation are not precise enough.

Chestermiller said:
What would your answer be for a realistic number of significant figures?
Two or three significant figures is realistic, since the values used (see Post #1) are given to only three significant figures (and only multiplications and divisions have been used).

So I should have given my answer as 3.0x10⁴m or 3.01x10⁴m.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: kuruman