How Do You Calculate the Optimal Swimming Angle to Cross a River Quickly?

• Thread starter koosy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, the conversation discussed an optimization problem involving finding the optimal direction to swim in order to reach a point B on the opposite side of a river. The given variables were the width of the river, the swimmer's speed, and the river's drift. The conversation also included a link with helpful pointers and a clarification on the use of relative velocity in the problem. The final solution suggested drawing vector diagrams and finding the resultant for the shortest distance.
koosy

Homework Statement

crossing a river from point A to a point B directly across point A. The river R is 1 mile wide, the swimmer swims at s=5mph and the river is flowing westbound at f=1mph. Find the optimal direction theta to swim in order to reach point B the fastest. This is an optimization problem, but I just need some pointers, as I think m basic formulation is all wrong. Thanks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

minimize T(theta)=R/(sin(theta)*5)*f-cos(theta)*s*(R/(sin(theta)*s))

Physics news on Phys.org
this is just relative velocity, convert all your info to si units(unnecessary but a good habit) the shortest distance is obviously straight across. Draw your vector diagrams and find the resultant!

I get 4.9mp/h at 78.5degrees.

just curios what are s and f

pat666 said:
just curios what are s and f

s is the swimmer's speed and f is the drift of the river, flowing at a westward direction.

pat666 said:
this is just relative velocity, convert all your info to si units(unnecessary but a good habit) the shortest distance is obviously straight across. Draw your vector diagrams and find the resultant!

Actually' I've just realized it really isn't relative velocity. This link gave me good pointers. Thanks for your help, though!

http://www.janrik.net/mathexpl/swimwalk.html

the how to and answers i gave you should be correct it may not technically fit under the relative velocity heading but the same techniques are used.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Optimal Swimming Angle to Cross a River Quickly?

1. What is the distance/speed formulation?

The distance/speed formulation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the distance an object travels based on its speed and the amount of time it travels for. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving motion.

2. How do I set up the distance/speed formulation?

To set up the distance/speed formulation, you will need to identify the values for speed and time. Then, you can use the formula distance = speed x time to calculate the distance traveled by the object. Make sure to use consistent units for speed and time, such as meters per second and seconds.

3. What are the units for distance and speed in the formulation?

In the distance/speed formulation, distance is typically measured in meters (m) and speed is measured in meters per second (m/s). However, you can use different units as long as they are consistent.

4. Can the distance/speed formulation be used for objects traveling at different speeds?

Yes, the distance/speed formulation can be used for objects traveling at any speed, as long as the units for speed and time are consistent. The formula will still work even if the speed of the object changes during its journey.

5. How accurate is the distance/speed formulation?

The distance/speed formulation is a simple mathematical model and may not account for all factors that affect the movement of an object. Therefore, its accuracy may vary depending on the specific situation. However, it is a useful tool for estimating distance and can provide a good approximation in many cases.